CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Thermodynamic Solar Panels in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

GreenServeUK

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

does anybody here have an idea about thermodynamic solar panels?

Aico 3000
G

Gavin A

-
Arms
yep. Though we've not installed them yet, and I'm not entirely sure the finances stack up for them without RHI.

Worcester

Worcester

-
Mentor
Arms
Looked at them, haven't done the ROI maths yet, like the fact that they generate heat in the night! Basically they aren't just solar panels, they are really an air source heat pump with a solar enhanced collector.

G

Gavin A

-
Arms
Looked at them, haven't done the ROI maths yet, like the fact that they generate heat in the night! Basically they aren't just solar panels, they are really an air source heat pump with a solar enhanced collector.
agree - but in MCS's wisdom they're apparently classified as solar water heating for RHI and it's temp grant scheme purposes.

The Solar King

The Solar King

-
Arms
No one has yet been able to supply me with with verifiable real world performance data. I would like to to see fully monitored systems running somewhere like Sweden to back up all the claims being made. Until then it is all just puff. I think the stuff is made in Portugal where in a nice warm climate it probably works OK. If it is such a good idea, why has no one else done something similar?

G

Gavin A

-
Arms
No one has yet been able to supply me with with verifiable real world performance data. I would like to to see fully monitored systems running somewhere like Sweden to back up all the claims being made. Until then it is all just puff. I think the stuff is made in Portugal where in a nice warm climate it probably works OK. If it is such a good idea, why has no one else done something similar?
patents I assume.

ENERGIE holds exclusively the patent for this product and is world leader in the manufacture of thermodynamic solar panels.
We are present in more than 29 countries across four continents.
There's no reason at all why this shouldn't work, although I do share your scepticism about some of the COP claims, though tbf the COP for ASHP's suffers more at lower temperatures mainly because of the need to use resistive heating to defrost the units to prevent them freezing up, something that's less of an issue for a part of the system with no moving parts as is the case the these panels.

S

solarfred

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When I checked the testing information the laboratory was in the Far East. I cannot see why a company in Portugal would have testing done in Taiwan and then manufacture in Portugal? The Chinese make lots self contained heat pump units. People are being duped if they think they are made in EU.
Energie have been flogging these units in Ireland for a while but not one person has come back with any data from an actual domestic set up.

G

Gavin A

-
Arms
When I checked the testing information the laboratory was in the Far East. I cannot see why a company in Portugal would have testing done in Taiwan and then manufacture in Portugal? The Chinese make lots self contained heat pump units. People are being duped if they think they are made in EU.
Energie have been flogging these units in Ireland for a while but not one person has come back with any data from an actual domestic set up.
I'm thinking about seeing if we can rig up a test unit somewhere and monitor it properly. I've got monitoring kit I could remove from our solar water heating system, as I think after 4 years I know that works now.

S

Solluva

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
These are put over as some revolutionary technology. But are they?
Can someone explain how they differ from air sourced heat pumps.

G

Gavin A

-
Arms
they use the same principle, but a passive heat collection method instead of active - ie they don't have a fan to suck air across a small heat collector, they have a big heat collector to collect heat as the wind naturally moves the air across it, as well as collecting energy from sunlight directly when it's available.

they also have the advantage of being suitable for north facing roofs (possibly IMO even more suited for them than south facing, as I reckon south facing would be more prone to summer overheating), so are ideal partners for solar PV in that they're not competing for the same roof space.

I seem to be talking myself into these now.

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to Thermodynamic Solar Panels in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom