Discuss Thermodynamic Solar Panels in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

For that sort of money you would be better of with a 3kW solar PV system , with a 20 year FIT tariff and just leave your immersion on for the hot water. We all know PV works!

There is also a discussion at very high level that this may thermodynamic technology may be re-classed as a "transpired solar collector" which will probably take it out of the RHI. The RHI is also not set in stone until the day starts and I would not trust the people in charge to alter things at the last minute.

Being as the next big "no win no fee" legal challenges are likely to be going after solar installers who oversold and overpromised on predictions I would not install any technology I was not 100% confident in. There is a solicitors advert to this affect every weekend in the better Sunday papers !

Selling this technology based on 20 year RHI returns which may be only be seven years or no payment at all would seem like opening myself up to massive problems I dont need.

Hello,

Its Paul from complete picture here. To clarify for everybody this is an air source heat pump the only difference is instead of a fan coil unit you have a solar radiator on the roof. Therefore it's quieter (This will be a big deal in ther future) and you get a slightly better COP as you don't have a fan and you got a larger surface area to collect the heat. Energie.pt the manufacturer have some information on their website.

You can use our EN12831 calculation software to do the calculation. The only thing you need to know to calculate the RHI is the COP and the output temperature you are using for hot water and heating to calculate the savings. As with all heat pumps they work better with underfloor heating and good insulation.

RHI is a payment for generating your heat with renewable technology so in this case it's the electricity you save to generate the same amount of heat. RHI is using wind as the comparative case.

In my opinion these are probably directly comparable to a ground source heat pump in terms of efficiency COP of 4+ and probably cheaper to install. They only really make sense if you are off the gas grid.

regards
Paul

All well and good Paul, but where is the real life validated performance for cold climates? How is this going to work in winter with a water inlet temperature of 4deg C and an average ambient air temperature of 8 degrees regularly falling to below zero at the very time you require space heating and hot water?

Opinions and probably are no good. Evidence based real life data are good. Where is it?

Last edited:
Solar King, Couldn't agree more. The BRE have a database of tested heatpumps where the cop has been measured but the take-up by manufacturers is relatively poor. Similarly we have e-mailed all of the MCS manufacturers on more than one occasion for inclusion of their data in the software but we get nowhere. A level playing field of test results under real-life conditions would be very useful. The criteria for inclusion in the MCS list should include performance testing. Also why have we got an MCS list and the BRE list, typical govt nonsense.

Apparently the thermodynamic panels are being used extensively in Scandinavia so some test data must be available.

Apparently I won the jackpot in the lottery, but can't find my ticket. It must be available somewhere.

Why is this equipment registered with MCS as solar thermal when it is clearly a heat pump? Could it be to avoid the performance criteria that now cover them?

The mcs classification is wrong my understanding is it has been automatically included using the European classification. I don't think this will be a benefit as they will not be able to take advantage of the COP unless it's a heat pump.

I've been googling for an hour can't find any Scandinavians info.

The MCS classification is wrong... well maybe, but if that's the classification, then that's what it will be getting paid under until it changes the classification, unless you're saying that RHI will accept other EU certification instead of MCS for products, which I'm not aware is the case.

Here is an interesting thing. Went to see a potential customer last week. She'd been quoted £11500 for a 4kwp system with Voltage Optimisation and Passive Systems. To fund the deal she'd agreed to take out a £11000 loan from the companies "partnership" with Barclays...

As we are a small company with no access to inhouse finance I suggested she'd be better off contacting Energy Savings Trust and get one of their advisors out. In her post code she'd be entitled to an int free loan of £4000.

Long story short. The advisor was out today......and here is the twist....suggested she look at thermodynamic panels...as a form of heating both water and her home. She is out in the country burning oil. For these she was told the interest free loan was up to £10,000 as they are heat producing....

Like a lot of the folk here we are sitting back awaiting more data on these panels. But from my own local knowledge.....most of the big national companies with their cold calling armies are moving over from pv...where there a no margins any longer....and in thermodynamic panels...

But I can't make the figures work.....If you are on mains gas...with a relatively new combi boiler.....electric showers and cold heat washing machine and dishwasher.....the payback time for one of these systems...even with RHI...must be 20 years....

Any thoughts..

But I can't make the figures work.....If you are on mains gas...with a relatively new combi boiler.....electric showers and cold heat washing machine and dishwasher.....the payback time for one of these systems...even with RHI...must be 20 years..

Thats the idea its not supposed to be viable. The Green deal calculation would be recommending topping up the loft insulation and cavity wall under these circumstances. Heat pumps are only going to be viable off the gas grid or for refurbishment when the heating system needs replacing anyway.

does anybody here have an idea about thermodynamic solar panels?

At United Solar Solutions we have a long list of real world data that specifically pertains to your question. Our important data shows size of Solar Panels and areas that they heat. These are all using thermodynamic systems. Take a look and let us know if you have anymore questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
At United Solar Solutions we have a long list of real world data that specifically pertains to your question. Our important data shows size of Solar Panels and areas that they heat. These are all using thermodynamic systems. Take a look and let us know if you have anymore questions.
could you post up a link please, as I'm not sure I've found the right site on google - can't see anything anyway.

I'm sure the mods can make an exception to the usual spam rules in this case if it's useful data.

Thanks

Florida Has a slightly different climate to the UK - When did you last have snow there?

Corr.....wouldn't hurt to expand on that with some actual constructive comments.

You take it I am unable to read? Haha.....what a comment. What are you, a child? Nice one
as you'll see from this thread, there's a fair degree of scepticism on here about these systems, mostly down to some dodgy miss selling that seems to be going on with them, although some do seem to (wrongly) think that they don't work at all.

I'm far more open to them, and we've been on the verge of starting installing these for the last 2 years, but were a bit put off by the whole spiel about them not being heat pumps when anyone with half a clue can see that they are, and the lack of hard data. I've no problem with the concept, and the technology looks pretty good tbh, but the way it's been sold in this country is a **** take.

MCS have now formally suspended these products, though they've allowed a grace period through to the 18th Nov for companies to register existing contracted projects.

They've said they're working with the manufacturers to develop either a new process, or an extension of the SWH or heat pump accreditation process for them, and to determine how to categorize them and how to adapt the SAP estimates for them.

So they're off the market for now for anyone wanting them to be eligible for RHI, or premium payment schemes, but should be back again in 6 months time or so.

according to an email I just received from MCS

Reply to Thermodynamic Solar Panels in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net