Discuss Thermodynamic Solar Panels in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi gents I came here looking for any threads on this subject as I had a salesman showing me this product today, I'm quite supprised that it still very much in it's infantsy here with not much info on it as the salesman seemed to be having quite a lot of take up on it so far, any way the system was a 2000 ltr cylinder with an install price of £6969 which you get £300 back more or less straight away he was also showing me the tarrif scheme like the solar energy one which would pay a set sum each year for 20 years index linked once again which would make it worth while but I've yet to find any evidence on the net that that is true infact what I saw on here from another link was something about a 7 year tarrif if that's right he's got it totally wrong.

No that's just a domestic hot water system and apparantly you only need the one panel for it to work.

OK just do this simple math. If a normal immersion heater uses 3kw and it is on one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening that = 6 kWh per day. That costs about £0.15p x 6 = £0.90p per day.
Over one year that = £328. So to pay back the capital outlay of your Thermodynamic unit based on alternative nil capital cost alternative = 18 years. Chances are your thermodynamic will need new expensive parts within 18 years whereas an immersion is £30 a time.
The immersion is subject to the increases in electricity prices but then so is the Thermodynamic unit as it runs a heat pump for hours on end. (we are not sure what happens in a decent cold winter because no one will offer any data). I understand to heat 250 litres from cold takes 8 hours at 550 watts.

If you go for solar thermal after the initial capital outlay of £2-3,000 there is no other cost and it will supplement the immersion up to 100% in summer and 50-60% in winter. Running costs are negligible.
Replacement parts are minimal cost. If you use existing gas or oil backup you are usually just topping up the water temperature so probably cheaper than the immersion option.

So if the Thermodynamic actually cost £3,000 then it would need to compete on running costs with thermal based on similar capital cost. I don't think it can. If you run an immersion backed up thermal system I would think it will be cheaper than a thermodynamic system over the short and long term.

A thermodynamic system only has 1 part that could possibly ever need replacing, and that's the compressor, which is just like the one on the back of your fridge freezer.

When have you ever had to replace that?

I think you are overlooking the actual device that transfers the heat into the water.The compressor just compresses gas into liquid which then goes through a "thermal block" which is the guts of this device. I can't find the test document I found a while back but it was certified and tested by Intertek in the far east (where I assume it is made). The "thermal block" is the magic device or heat exchanger which makes it all work and costs the money. If I find the information I will post it. Doesn't change the maths though.

Thanks for the comments guy's keep them coming, and to Solarsavings I'm sorry I cant reply to your pm as I've not had the minimum 15 post's on here.

I'm in Suffolk, the company who quoted me is 1st Energy based in Colchester, Essex.

The rhi payments are not yet in place, they hope to have it done summer 2013.

Any technology used ( Biomass, Air source heat pumps, Ground douce heat pumps and Solar thermal) since a set date ( think it's July 2009) will be eligible for payments from the date it was Installed.

The payments are payed over a 7 year period rather than 20, this is to make payback periods faster.

Rhi payment of 17p per kwh, I think too.

They are going to monitor the take up, and run it like the FIT, they will drop payments if too popular, my advice is if ur gonna install any of the rhi technology, then do so now as u will get the top rate when it comes in, and will get payback to the date installed.

We are still no further forward with validation of this technology. No one gives straight answers and no one provides real life performance data for the UK or cold climate countries. I've given up asking. Quite frankly I am surprised Trading Standards and Advertising Standards haven't taken a close interest.

With regard to domestic RHI, the consultation was published by DECC last week. The headline figure for solar thermal is 17.3p/kWh. This will not give sufficient payback within the seven year qualification period. The door is open to justify a higher or different subsidy. One problem is DECC still have their heads up their backsides comparing everything to the ROC for offshore wind. This isn't apples with apples or even apples with elephants. It shows just how confused or perverted DECC's thinking is. No need to ask who is confusing and perverting them.

Thanks for all your input guy's, so I'm being told as a customer it's being paid over 20 years but from documented evidence it looks like it's likely to be 7 years, he did show me at what the minimum rates would be but if them rates still apply and it's minus 13 years I know for sure what I'll do.

Reply to Thermodynamic Solar Panels in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock