Discuss Thermostat connections in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

webby_58

Hi guys

I am replacing an old Honeywell stat with a Salus RT200. The old stat a live and switched live ( no earth ).

New stat has connections L / SL / N earth connection for park only. I have identified the L & SL from the supply ( twin and earth flex ). The cpc has been cut back at both ends of cable.

I have tried to connect L & SL in the new stat and nothing happens , the boiler won't fire and the stat does not respond.

Can anyone advise.......?

Cheers guys...

I don't know the stats in question, but it sounds like you need a neutral to make it work, but as important, you must have a cpc with the cable run. Run a new 3c +E

Sorry thermostat... It seems the stat installed is simply a switch. Are you referring to a line voltage or low voltage stat....

Confused.com as the boiler does not require a neutral connection ......?

The boiler already has a neutral, along with a live and earth.
The stat is switching a control circuit live derived from the boiler. (live + switched live)
The old mechanical stat didn't need a neutral
The new Electrical stat does need a neutral.
You either need a battery powered stat, or new cable as above to new electrical stat.

According to the Salus website and data sheet, the RT200 is an electronic thermostat. It requires a neutral to work. If you want to use this stat, you'll have to run a 3 core and earth as J&M says. The earth is not required for this stat but should be run anyway.

Reply to Thermostat connections in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, have an old bathroom fan. Which has two wires the black and red (line and neutral). The fan has no isolator switch and was powered when the...
Replies
Views
Hi all Mate of mine is getting a new utility room fitted, the kitchen fitting company have brought in their electricians for first fix and to be...
Replies
Views
Please advise what I should test / check next. My usual qualified electrician who did all of the work here is in Ireland for 4 weeks and not...
Replies
Views
Hello there, I’m in the process of mapping out a relatively standard S-plan system for my parents central heating and hot water system. Not sure...
Replies
Views
We are currently renovating an old house after recently moving in. Whilst purchasing the property we received written assurances that the original...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock