Discuss Thermostat controller in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Bob1955

DIY
Reaction score
I want to replace my old Thermostat controller with a new one the old one has 2 wires neutral and live the new box is volt free I was told it will work I just have to put live wire to live switch and not use neutral is that true

i doubt the old one has just a live and neutral
A room stat is a switch so it must switch a signal to turn on the boiler etc
I would think you you have just a live in and a switched live back.
If the new stat you have is battery operated it most likely will work with what you have but if you are in any doubt please just get a professional in to replace

as above ^^^^^. check your new stat. instructions. if it needs a neutral you may find it's incompatible with the wiring that you have .

i doubt the old one has just a live and neutral
A room stat is a switch so it must switch a signal to turn on the boiler etc
I would think you you have just a live in and a switched live back.
If the new stat you have is battery operated it most likely will work with what you have but if you are in any doubt please just get a professional in to replace
Yes it is battery operated and I was quoted £170 for someone to sort it for me is that a fair price

Hi - I’d try to get another quote as it should be a simple job. Many folks would fit and test it for you for a call out fee, way less than that £.

According to the instructions no neutral is required. Can you show a pic of your old stat connections.

That's the old one

Thermostat controller IMG_20191018_223958 - EletriciansForums.net
[automerge]1571435303[/automerge]
The left is neutral right live middle empty

Last edited:
As previously stated you have a line in and switched line out, ignore the fact it is blue it should be sleeved brown. You should be able to just connect those to the two terminals on your new stat, doesn't really matter which way around. To be honest the fact it is wired in flex indicates a bit of an ad hoc installation but nevertheless it should function. TURN THE POWER OFF FIRST :)

As previously stated you have a line in and switched line out, ignore the fact it is blue it should be sleeved brown. You should be able to just connect those to the two terminals on your new stat, doesn't really matter which way around. To be honest the fact it is wired in flex indicates a bit of an ad hoc installation but nevertheless it should function. TURN THE POWER OFF FIRST :)
So just connect one to mains Live and one to switch live is that right
[automerge]1571438047[/automerge]
I would like to Thank everyone who help me on here a big Thank you

Last edited:

Reply to Thermostat controller in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock