Discuss Thermostats in each room? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

SSE

-
Reaction score
Anytime I've done a boiler/heating system for someone it;s just been ur usual one thermostat for the system. Now someone who wants a new system would like one in each room? Can someone explain to me how this would work or if it does as I'ver not heard off this before and think it's a bit over the top. :confused:

sounds like multizone,cant see that being a combi,would need seperate motorised valves for each heating circuit,and seperate stats for each zone.what type of system is being installed,by the way i think this might need to relocated to the central heating threads.

Any time i have done this it has been for an underfloor heating system. Each room is plumbed in its own loop. So therefore there is a stat to control each loop. It is a handy system when you get onto the run of it and gives the homeowner alot more control over the system. I have a system like this in my house if you need a pic a will post one

Last edited:
I've just done a system with 4 thermostats, they were to control the min temperature of the house eg to make sure no room got colder then 10c. Did advise about other room being heated when just 1 thermostat calls for heat and was told that what the tvr are for.

It's more common with underfloor systems, but just as applicable with radiators. TRVs are an alternative, but have their disadvantages. TRVs are positioned very close to the heat source. TRVs are rarely programmable. You can get room stats that have 7 day programming and are networked to allow control from a central touchpad, PC, telephone, etc. Mind you, TRVs are much cheaper.

There is pretty much only one manufacturer of the networked room stats - heatmiser. Many other companies sell rebadged versions though.

just imagin all the motorised valves around the place , TVR's , and as has been said room stats for each room on a Zoned under floor heating system

I installed a system 25 years ago in my own house with a tank and 8 room thermostats. Therefore 9 motorised valves.
It made one hell of a difference to the gas bill.

If using a stat in each room you need a manifold on each floor, with actuators fitted onto it and a relay box with each manifold to send a run signal to the boiler.

you could wire them all up in parallel and then wire them into the boiler enable circuit so if any of the stat were to call for heating it would bring on the boiler

Yes, but that would bring every radiator on in the installation, which is why you need a manifold with actuators or motorised valves for each thermostat zone.

Any time i have done this it has been for an underfloor heating system. Each room is plumbed in its own loop. So therefore there is a stat to control each loop. It is a handy system when you get onto the run of it and gives the homeowner alot more control over the system. I have a system like this in my house if you need a pic a will post one

Hi Hawke81. I am a plumber fitting such a system in my own place ( 6 zones, 6 stats, 6 zone valves) will your pic give me some idea of how to wire them all up? if so can you help me. Thanks.

Reply to Thermostats in each room? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net