Discuss These Photos : What types / scale of installations am I seeing here in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

greenm4n

Hi,
Please take a look at these images..

Could any of you experienced PV Installers out there give me any idea on the scale (capacity) of the roof installs shown?

(I'm a certified Sparks - my business profile states my intention to do more to be eco-friendly.. I'd like to know more about how PV work, possibly modifying existing installs could help me to do that!)

Steve - Locks Heath

Attachments

• S7000013.JPG
    417.3 KB · Views: 102
  • S7000014.JPG
    412.2 KB · Views: 107
  • S7000015.JPG
    527.5 KB · Views: 139
  • S7000016.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 113
Hi Steve,

All the installs photographed above appear to be sub 4 kWp on-roof arrays. All these modules appear to be 60-cell modules, hence probably around 220-250 Wp each. I must say all these systems except possibly S700013 appear to have been poorly designed: Modules installed too close to the roof edges, clamps applied to the short side of modules, little respect of basic aesthetic sense...In some cases this may happen when customers insist to have as much PV as possible regardless of the visual impact...

If you're looking to learn about different types of installs you might want to take a look at in-roof systems, solar tiles and ground-mounted systems as well.

Well, a typical 250W panel is about 1m wide and 1.65m high, so you're looking at about 150W per square metre of solar panel.
Sanyo's (theye're often recognisable from the hexagonal pattern) are a bit narrower (about 86cm) about 175W per square metre.

Often, the 240W and 230W models are actually slightly underpowered 250's which have been sorted into different power bands by the factory - hence many companies quoting 0 to +5 W variation in performance. So a 230W panel will be about 140W per square metre, compared to the 250W model being 150W per sq.metre.

Here's a picture of 15x250W panels (as per my signature) which make a square of about 5m each side (5x1m by 3x1.66m):

solar001.jpg

.....and here's a picture of the neighbour's array - their house is very similar to mine and their array occupies a similar roof area, so probably similar power output to mine (3.5-4kWp), but their array has 18 panels which are likely to be 190-220W per panel.

solarpanelsaftersnowthawed10022012003-1.jpg

Hi,

Could any of you experienced PV Installers out there give me any idea on the scale (capacity) of the roof installs shown?

(I'm a certified Sparks - my business profile states my intention to do more to be eco-friendly.. I'd like to know more about how PV work, possibly modifying existing installs could help me to do that!)

Steve - Locks Heath

The 2nd one looks ok to me, but I think would have look better to have a complete 3rd column rather than across the lean to. Easier access I suppose.

3rd one ok, 4th looks very unsightly.

Bah - it's been a while since I've had any nice jobs like posts 5,6 and 7. Sometimes the roof enables it to look nice other times it impossible to leave anything other than a dogs dinner.

Did one in Eastbourne last month. There was a house right on top of the hill over looking this beautiful area, looked an absolute disgrace. Three of us doing the job, first thing we all noticed when we showed up. was this horrendous install in such a dominant area. Lady said there had been tons of complaints to the council.

Hi,

Steve - Locks Heath

steve, if you want to do more do the g83 and g59 its alot of dough, then get accredited which is lots of paperwork
then you can mess with them

??? solar pv (domestic) is dead! woudnt be worth cost of all fees and course now!! G59 industrial/comercial is only way to go BUT u got to no wot ur doing so if u havnt done a few domestics then u be lost!

Reply to These Photos : What types / scale of installations am I seeing here in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net