Discuss Thinking of becoming an Electrician, unsure what route to take in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

thedtjs

Hello.

I'm 28 years old and after some long thought of what skill I would like to learn, I decided to go to college to study Level 2 and 3 in Electrical Installation. This is the City and Guilds 2365 qualification. I have searched for jobs related to this and it seems a lot of jobs require City and Guilds 2391. From what I understand, this is an inspection qualification.

My question is, if I have the 2365 qualification, will I need the 2391, or any other for that matter, to be employable as an electrician? I would like to do as many courses as possible to make myself more employable in different areas, but I am unsure where to go after I complete the 2365 in electrical installation.

I am unable to do an apprenticeship as I cannot live on an apprentice's wage.

Thank you for any help,

Dan

I'm on the 2365 L2 course and a couple of years older than you. Its a difficult time to change career but you really need some kind of experience. That means taking a pay cut and possibly eating baked beans for a few years. But, its not all doom and gloom, at the end of it you will be properly qualified.

The 2391 has been replaced by the 2394/95 and will be a welcome addition to your qualifications but sadly I cant see many people respecting the qualification without experience. I believe one route for you could be a domestic electrician after the 2395/95 (and 17th edition plus PartP).

There is no real set in concrete way to become an electrician.

Reply to Thinking of becoming an Electrician, unsure what route to take in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net