Discuss Thinking of getting back in the trade Southampton in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sorgan

-
Reaction score
Hey guys,
A number of years ago I completed the first year of a city and guilds course (2360 I think) and passed with a distinction, did my 16th and then got a job working as an elctrical and mechanical engineer and stopped college.

After a few years some things went wrong, the company went to the wall and I kind of floated out of the trade.

I have recently been considering getting back to it but am not sure what I would need to do!
I imagine my qualification is likely useless now and the company I worked for is long gone so no one to vouch for me.
Any ideas? Could I get a job as a mate and try to get requalified?
Thanks in advance.

the 2360 is still valid, i know one firm prefers it to the new 2365 as he reckons there is not enough practical work in college these days.
Can do the 2365 level 3 at college in evenings, do your 18th edition.
Maybe do a testing qualification. should help you get a foot in.

Lovely, thanks gavin! I will have a look at colleges.
Now I keep seeing about CSCS cards, is that something I should be looking at getting?

I imagine having the option of site work again would make me more appealing although I have much more experience in commercial and industrial wiring rather then domestic and new build.
I've located my local tech college and it looks like they run a course but it is the EAL level 3 diploma. It's the same college I did my previous training at so maybe they have moved away from C&G.

So basically I should be looking to do
- level 3 course
- 18th edition
- testing course (part P?)
- ecs card potentially.

I think I will start with getting booked onto a level 3 course (whichever I can find) and then start looking for a position in a company.

Hi i would recommend getting in contact with jib they will tell you exactly what you need in order to get your electrical installer gold card. Then find a college that can offer you this. In the mean time do an ecs health and safety course just a 1 hour multi choice exam and you should be able to get an ecs mate card or labourers card which will allow you on to all construction sites. Once sorted contact me as i normally have some work on as long as you are willing to travel / work away hope this helps ta Paul

Hello Paul, that's an awesome offer.
I will look into getting an ecs card sort promptly. Would it be better for you if I had any other bits sorted? (18th or part p) before I contact you?
I'm sure working away/travel won't be an issue if it helps get back into the trade!

Part p is more for domestic most off what i do is commercial 18th will be very helpful and you would need this for your ecs trade card also. Once you have spoken to them and know what you need and have it all ready to go contact me and we can have a chat to make sure you are suited to the role etc ta Paul

Reply to Thinking of getting back in the trade Southampton in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock