Discuss thinking of jacking in the niceic in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparkey58

my notifable work is getting less and less, even more so with latest changes, so i am thinking i would be better off just jacking the nic and getting another spark to sign off work that needs part P its not just the money, it would save the hassle of yearly assesments, etc i am going to start asking locally in Bristol if anyone is prepared to do this, it is not clear to me though if this is o.k, if it is, and its not too expensive, perhaps 50 quid if i fill out the forms and they just sign them off [after they have seen a few of my jobs and know i.m not a cowboy and know what i'm doing after 35 years in the trade] seems the the way to go.

As far as i'm concerned you should never have needed to be in a scheme in the first place!! lol!!
The other alternative (at the moment) is to ditch the NICEIC and go with the much cheaper provider ''STORMA''...

You are suggesting an illegal course of action getting another person to sign off your work outside of a company and without the availability of third party sign off schemes.
If the third party schemes come into existence then the third party needs to complete an EICR for your work and I think they would expect more than £50.
I do understand and sympathise with your predicament, as E54 says getting a cheaper scheme would cost less overall.
Your method (even if you found someone to do it for £50) would cost more per year, if you did more than 10 notifiable jobs, than a scheme.

It's ok if the other spark's scheme allows him to sign off third party work. As far as I know though, although this has been passed by the government in principle, none of the schemes have implemented it yet.

If you are not that fussed about it being ok or not though, why bother to notify work at all ? Just ditch your scheme and plod on regardless. Or pass on the notifiable jobs to another spark for a percentage of the bill, to go through his books instead.

The NICEIC. Realise they are losing credibility hence why they are merging and changing their name to cert sure only problem is that trick gets tried all the time you only have to see how the coperate world act when they get bad press then 6 months later a name change.
I live in Scotland where scheme membership is seen for big companies and not domestic but the big national sheds,etc apply English law to their kitchen and bathroom contractors where one company did an audit and found problems.
Me thinks Part P!sh will be allowed to fade away although not before the schemes put up a fight.

Remember in Scotland you can submit certification by Enquiry is attach front and back copies of your SJIB card sowing your image and qualifications along with a copy of your MFT calibration cert now in my view this has a full audit trail of unlike a scheme membership where it is an open secret that guys are borrowing someone's membership

Hi there, just set up my own company and have my assessment date booked! Any tips for my first NICEIC visit? My 2 jobs are:
• Ccu change
• light fitting change

The NICEIC. Realise they are losing credibility hence why they are merging and changing their name to cert sure only problem is that trick gets tried all the time you only have to see how the coperate world act when they get bad press then 6 months later a name change.
I live in Scotland where scheme membership is seen for big companies and not domestic but the big national sheds,etc apply English law to their kitchen and bathroom contractors where one company did an audit and found problems.
Me thinks Part P!sh will be allowed to fade away although not before the schemes put up a fight.

Remember in Scotland you can submit certification by Enquiry is attach front and back copies of your SJIB card sowing your image and qualifications along with a copy of your MFT calibration cert now in my view this has a full audit trail of unlike a scheme membership where it is an open secret that guys are borrowing someone's membership
I'm further north and NICEIC is not seen as being for bigger companies. We have a plethora of 'dangerous Daves, Electrical Trainee's, ex ship and lift engineers all who think they know what they are doing. The industry sucks, the NICEIC/SELECT aint perfect but at east it gives customers some comfort. BTW the NIC seem to have forgotten about my annual assessment this year, whats that all about?

I'm further north and NICEIC is not seen as being for bigger companies. We have a plethora of 'dangerous Daves, Electrical Trainee's, ex ship and lift engineers all who think they know what they are doing. The industry sucks, the NICEIC/SELECT aint perfect but at east it gives customers some comfort. BTW the NIC seem to have forgotten about my annual assessment this year, whats that all about?
maybe....but as with all the schemes...if customers knew that all was required of some `wannabe` was the 17th edition and some cash to go out and start installing here, there n everyware......

maybe....but as with all the schemes...if customers knew that all was required of some `wannabe` was the 17th edition and some cash to go out and start installing here, there n everyware......
totally agree I dont know what you would have to do to fail getting in

i think that every year its a total rip off! the annual visit is a joke with my provider, i find i can tell if i'm gonna get the job before i leave the property, as I've always been recommended and people love that! if its a biggy just add on the price of doing it through building control that's how other trades do it.............I've just had all new double glazed pvc fit at home, i asked the fitter if it came with a fencer certificate, his answer was, no fackin way mate im not paying them ----ers i was fitting windows before they were even thought of, but i'll regisiter it with building control and they will check em for you and issue a certificate!

When I joined my scheme I got told I needed to do some testing regs etc training
on the testing course there was boys there tripping power out and not having a clue of one end of a meter from another.it was embarrassing of the level of ability.everyone passed.
kinda says it all really

My Nic annual inspections are fairly pointless I could right down the answers of the question there ask before they turn up as there are always the same
normally find something to note yet its never the same thing and i havnt altered my methods
they are concern more with getting away (20 mins between jobs)
one did tell me that once they realise your a proper sparks there not that bothered
always try to take them to big houses as they want to have a look around which keeps them happy

I'm with Napit and don't have formal annual inspections as I see the inspector throughout the year during installations. Convenient for both of us I dare say.

I'm with Napit and don't have formal annual inspections as I see the inspector throughout the year during installations. Convenient for both of us I dare say.

So does that mean your inspector come out to your installs that are in progress.
Do you call him in.
how does he check your testing

So does that mean your inspector come out to your installs that are in progress.

Yes.

Do you call him in.

No, it's coincidental. I do installs in support of subcontracted bathroom/kitchen fitters for B & Q. Napit approve all elements of the job and he calls in unannounced to view/check the progress of the whole job at its near completion. Not every job I hasten to add. So he sees the install and asks the odd question about ref method, circuit protection etc. It's not intensive.

how does he check your testing

He has a look at the pre-install test results and fires a quick quiz at you based on those. Also checks/signs your tester calibration monthly check sheet. He knows which publications I have but is more interested to see that I carry ID and a copy of B & Q's operations manual (which is regurgitated BGB/OSG with a few extra minimum stipulations thrown in)

its a whole lot better than a home visit and a trawl around your installs. IMHO for what it's worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
He has a look at the pre-install test results and fires a quick quiz at you based on those. Also checks/signs your tester calibration monthly check sheet. He knows which publications I have but is more interested to see that I carry ID and a copy of B & Q's operations manual (which is regurgitated BGB/OSG with a few extra minimum stipulations thrown in)

its a whole lot better than a home visit and a trawl around your installs. IMHO for what it's worth.

This is why they are losing credibility within the Industry

So you get to pick the job and not them ? sounds like a tick sheet exercise to keep an audit trail happy MDJ your right where is the credibility

I'm not sure that any of them are that highly rated and that could be for a number of reasons and probably all of their own doing. Like many time served and experienced electricians on here, I didn't feel that I needed regulating to any microscopic degree.. The feeling I got is that once they realise you're safe (and they probably know that from there initial meeting with you) that they don't feel the need to prod and poke.

When he's visiting me on live jobs it feels a lot more intrusive than the visit/quiz/install view that was conducted at the initial joining stage. But I have little to fear as I am conscientious and don't let the trade down at a personal/professional level.

Others may but I don't feel that my regular Inspector is letting anyone down where I have an involvement.

Lets hope he's putting those that need the scrutiny under the microscope. But we may suspect but not know otherwise.

The regulatory bodies should be spending more time seeking out the dangerous cowboys and not ticking boxes on the already worthy amongst us.

Reply to thinking of jacking in the niceic in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock