Discuss Thinking of moving house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking of moving house, say in 6 to 12 months and just wondering what people's views were on this.

i currently live in a village right on the very edge of south leicester near the M1, and looking at moving to Market Harborough which is only 8 - 10 miles from leicester so not a million miles away.

i think my only concern I have is if I would have the catchment area for business, as now I'm on the edge of leicester and have a lot if area and population, admittedly I only cover this side if leicester only and villages this side.

in market harborough it's quite big but nowhere near the size, but have a couple of very large villages and mid sized towns very near.

looking on the NICEIC website at contractors, within 10 miles of my house I have competition from a shade under 300, yes 300 NICEIC contractors, be it domestic or approved, yet within 10 miles of the middle of market harborough there's only approx 65.

ok I know there's Napit and elecsa etc, but just to gauge it from the NIC, do you feel although I would be in an immediately smaller populated area, the fact that there's significantly less electricians, do you think I would get the same amount of business or possibly even more because there's simply less competition?

We have a good school locally so not really a problem there, but I'm sure you would agree that it's a factor to consider about how much work you will get ...

stay where you are. get some advertising/leafleting around that market harlot boro'. moving house is not easy. requires a big crane and a lot of muscle.

I'm nervous in a way that I may be shooting myself in the foot by moving there, I'm talking 12 months time, but same applies.

We don't want to stay where we are as would like to be nearer my parents, I've no issue with moving house, I know it's a big move, but would like a 4 bed detached instead of our 3 bed semi and would like a bigger garden as I've only got a poxy small one at present.

on a serious note though, do you feel business would be alright or do you think it would potentially be less? I think it's the stats I've looked at about how many sparks there are, I've got literally 100 within 5 miles if here and there's about 12 within 5 mes of market harborough.

I'm nervous in a way that I may be shooting myself in the foot by moving there, I'm talking 12 months time, but same applies.

We don't want to stay where we are as would like to be nearer my parents, I've no issue with moving house, I know it's a big move, but would like a 4 bed detached instead of our 3 bed semi and would like a bigger garden as I've only got a poxy small one at present.

on a serious note though, do you feel business would be alright or do you think it would potentially be less? I think it's the stats I've looked at about how many sparks there are, I've got literally 100 within 5 miles if here and there's about 12 within 5 mes of market harborough.
its only 10 miles so would it make any difference to repeat cuatomers?

we regually do work over 50+ miles away

Yes you have a motor ! It might take an extra half hour to get home but it's about the house the area etc. Most people that use you now will carry on using you and you will get new work in your new area also
I would start looking you won't lose any work

You maybe think I'm weird only covering a small area, but I have enough business to keep me going.

I would never drive more than 10 miles for a job, I would be forever driving and having wasted journeys and quotes.

You maybe think I'm weird only covering a small area, but I have enough business to keep me going.

I would never drive more than 10 miles for a job, I would be forever driving and having wasted journeys and quotes.
Pull yourself together man, you have a van don't you?, whats another half an hour travelling a day? jeez I have heard it all now, anyone would think you had to cycle to work haha

I know, but I just find driving for 30 mins to do a quote is a waste of time more often thn not, anyway, I'm busy enough locally so not exactly bothered.

ill keep thinking about it.

I know, but I just find driving for 30 mins to do a quote is a waste of time more often thn not, anyway, I'm busy enough locally so not exactly bothered.

ill keep thinking about it.

Your wasting time now thinking about a house move by looking for the justification for it you will be going round in circles forever

You have a full order book now in the area you are based and in 12 months time you want to replace this with a completely new set of customers 10 miles away how realistic do you think your expectations are that this will happen

It is all very well quoting how much competition you may have in an area but this has to be looked at against population density and how many contractors that will travel more than 10 miles into your area

You want to move but you don't seem to have any capacity to be flexible and adapt and I think this is something you will have to do to make a house move work

the problem is you are really limiting yourself with only going within a 10 mile radius.

add a call out charge and milage charge for over a certain distance if you like.

if someone wanted me that bad in inverness to quote/do a job they can pay travel at least

this is so simple..... move... build up new customers where you move to... keep existing customers and referrals from them. christ, it's only 10 miles. about 15 minutes driving. what's the problem? are you a man or a wimp?

poor uksparks. rightly or wrongly he is getting slated over this!
personally, it sounds to me like you are trying to talk yourself out of actually moving.
At the end of the day, it is Only 8-10 miles from where you are now. I get what you say about driving unnecessarily to do quotes etc and that costs time and money. But, that is the price you pay to get a job. If you drive all that way and Get the job, then you will make the money back it cost you to drive there in the first place to quote for it. All, £2 of fuel at the very most!
for the majority of people, having to travel for work is common place.and I certainly wouldn't be stressing over 8-10 miles.
If it were any of us on here asking the same thing, you'd be telling us to just move if it's what we want to do and stop moaning because it isn't that far!

Ha, made me smile....When I was self employed........I hardly went more than 7 miles radius

but retain your existing customer base as well as building up a new one . jeez. 10 miles is only 15 minutes drive, or do you still use horses in that part of the country.

Reply to Thinking of moving house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net