Discuss Thinking of re-training in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

SarkySparky

Hiya,
I've read many of the great threads on here and decided to sign up.
Long story short: (really!)
I worked with an electrician for a short while on some domestic jobs, installs etc just before leaving school. I didn't end up doing an electrical apprenticeship although always had a keen interest and carried out my own jobs. I am in the middle of a partial re-wire on my house working alongside my trusted electrician friend. All the work has reminded me why i was considering doing it in the first place!
My current job as a computer engineer may be at risk of redundancy (lots of computer related jobs go off-shore for various reasons) and i was contemplating doing the electrical installers course whilst still working in my current role. I would like to have another skill under my belt and planned to be able to charge people for jobs in the evenings/weekends as and when they come up whilst gaining valuable experience after becoming qualified.
If my current job is made redundant i could then potentially have two avenues to look for work.

I appreciate with the current climate money is tight for everyone and not expecting to buy a Maserati after completing a course (!) but if i completed the City and Guilds course with Part P building regulations i could sign my own work off yeah?

What does this sound like to you? Good and bad points appreciated!

Cheers!

congrats , you are the 1000th person this week to have the same idea to start sparking cos the road to electrician glory is paved with gold and wonder and littered with training shortcuts.
thought it apt for someone called sarky.
;-)

That's a good point has anyone kept a tally, could be a thread called please register your interest here and you will be allocated a number and take a seat ...................

I'll answer.
You never worked as a spark... You worked as a labourer.
Either A- do it properly, go college for 3-4 years while also doing on the job training

Or B - spend a load on a short course a chimp could pass, buy all the gear then realise your underpinning knowledge is so lacking its shocking, get no work, waste a load of money and generally fail.

Have a look around the forum,look in the testing and inspection part... You will realise it takes years to know what your doing.

Good luck

Thanks for replies. I can see the forum is generally against these types of courses and you have your reasons.

Just to let you know, I didn't work as anything; I worked alongside my friends father who at the time was an electrician for 25 years (now 40+) because I was contemplating an electrical apprenticeship. I completed another apprenticeship and worked in that trade for 10 years.
I don't think you can buy experience because that's only something possible with time but it allows you to start something new and the rest is up to the individual I guess - that's what appeals to me. And no, I don't think it's a buy in to a rich scheme hence mentioning the Maserati ;-)

up to you want you do but you will just be another mug if you buy in to it 1 ww to electrical trainee

Reply to Thinking of re-training in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock