Discuss thinking of taking part p coarse. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

h34thy

Hi guys thinking of doing my part p coarse and going NIC EIC, what's the deal with registering with the NIC any tips or info would be appreciated, thank u

Part P is just to do with the electrical section of the building regulations and is not a course,if you are a qualified electrician with 17th edition and maybe 2391/2392 you can apply for joining a self cert scheme niceic/elecsa/napit/stroma/bsi or many others at your leisure,they differ in prices,all the criteria on joining will be on there websites.

I'm qualified, got my 2330 level 3, nvq level 3, not got my 17th yet though. I wanna start up on my own so u know some advice on ways to go about it will help big time.

You need £2M PLI, Health & Safety Policy, Risk Assessment & Method Statement, All Current Regs Books, Approved Document P, Minimum 17th Edition c&g's, Complaints Log, Calibrated Test Equipment, Answer all the assessors questions, Be able to demonstrate Safe Isolation, test safely etc etc.

Hi mate

contact NIC, Elecsa or napit
some of the may accept you with the quals you have but you need to be booked on a course for the 17th C&G 2382-12
which is for the new requirments regarding BS7671
Be quick though as from April 6th there will be new quals required besides the 17th edition to be a Qualified supervisor of an competent enterprise one for domestic and another for commercial? Industrial which is similar to the NVQ lv3
If you contact them they will send you the info or visit there websites ELECSA are £444 then yu will need calibrated test equipment and know how to use it, you will also need copies of OSG and Bs7671 and be able to answer questions based on them or show him were to find something in the regs and PLI insurance for £2 million
yo wll be also required to answer questions regarding Building Regs the electricians guide to building regs wll help with this

You will also have to have a substantial job to show him like a CCU change Inc Tails earthing and main bonding etc or rewire

If you contact elecsa or one of the others they wills end you a pack out that will have all this info and more

As said, forget the part-p course. Get 17th booked now, piece of pi$$ to pass. Buy GN3 and any aditional books to help you in your studies and get yourself enrolled on the 2395 course then the 2394 and get yourself registered.

The part-p course at best is a waste of time.

Cheers Bruce, I was thinking of going with NIC, it won't be just yet, books and testers won't be a problem to get, the 2M is that the public liability insurance? And the two jobs they have to assess u on I suppose they'll have to have certs, how do I go about doing that? I've been in the trade 7 years now but it's mostly been commercial but I wanna get into the domestic side of things to begin with.

Thanks mark, the 2394-2395 is the new version of the 2391 is'nt it, I've heard off a lot people that the coarse and exams are really hard to pass n theirs a real high fail rate, what's ur opinion mark, would that be the best way to go then instead of part p

The 2391 had a very high fail rate.

2394 and 2395 are the equivalent to the now defunct 2391.

Yes, they still carry a high fail rate but they are designed to seperate the men from the boys. Once you have these qualifications (alongside the ones you already have) you'll be a respected electrician.

Take the 17th edition exam ASAP, then like said buy relevant books - especially GN3 and make it your bedtime reading between now and whenever you sit the exam.

I can only talk about the NIC but as regards the 2 projects they will want to see your Certs but they won't check to see if these are submitted for Part P. so you can do dummy Certs get registered and then submit Part P. saves fortune on Building Regs fees and no one in NIC checks dates. However you can only register jobs after your approved so watch to dates.

Any more info message me regards

Approved document P is just a downloadable document that is to do with the building regs,from a-z,P is the electrical part,L is energy conservation,if you buy the electricians guide to the building regs all will be explained as to what affects our trade.You really could do with the 17th edition,i cant see why you couldnt sit the exam as its multi choice gola exam,but only a college or centre would know.You can buy niceic installation/test certificates from there website(green ones)they are for non members,Domestic installers use purple certs,approved contractors red certs,these look better than copying from the net or buying the cheap nasty ones from the wholesalers,take a look around the forum as there has been endless discussions on this exact topic many times.

Certificates can be downloaded free from IET website or there are copies on here which are editable there is a fre software aslo called formfill part P version which basically only has EICs and MEIWCs it used to have PIRs but since the EICRs came out with new amendment that isnt free anymore
but there are loads knocking about some you haev to fill in by hand some editable and the free software whci is easy to sue once you rap your head round it its by Castline formfill version p Google to download

Nice one guys! Mark I'm doing a lot of reading on testing at the mo, could u recomend any good books, GN3 one of course I'll pick that one up soon?

Approved document P is the full version of the building reg. you can download off the net rather than buying it. Beware though, you will need plenty of ink and paper in your printer.

Reply to thinking of taking part p coarse. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net