Discuss Thinking of training to become an electrician. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cue_it

Hi

Im new to this forum and im sure this has been asked many times but I like to write my own threads so there specific to me.

Im a quantity surveyor by trade but sitting in the office, making the same wage every week just isnt for me. Dont get me wrong, im very lucky to have a job and do appreciate it, but I need a little more variety in my life.

Im currently renovating my house and doing all the work myself...to a high standard. Im very good at putting my hand to most things and quite technically minded.

What I want to know is what the best direct, most recognisble courses I need to do to become a qualified electrician? Preferablly night school. Dont get me wrong, I know the best training is learnt out in the field doing the practical work but I want to get the ball rolling with a few qualification under my belt to show im willing to put the time and effort in.

Any info on course names, numbers, prices and locations would be very much appreciated.

Im located in Chelmsford, Essex.

Thanks

Cue_it

you will need to do the 2330 level 2 & 3 if its still running, its changing to the 2357 which you will need to be working in the industry to complete. also the 2382, then also 2391. that will take you about 4-5 years and a few grand

Exactly as above, I did the 2330 at Chelmsford college on Moulsham street, I did it in 2 years instead of 3 as I took a year off and went full time to college. That course cost me almost £2500 plus a lot of money in lost earnings. You then need to do the AM2 exam which is another £600, then you'll want the 2391 which is currently between £600 and £900 depending on where you go. If you want JIB grading you'll also need to do the NVQ3 but I don't know if that's included in the 2357, it wasn't in my 2330 and it cost a further £1500 at the time so I didn't do it.

As you're studying you'll need to be gaining experience on the job as well, nobody will touch you with a barge pole if you've just got the bits of paper because you do very little practical at college, the course is primarily theory and it won't prepare you one bit for work. In my opinion it's entirely pointless, but it's a hoop you must jump through.

It's a tough road mate, and the financial rewards can be extremely hit and miss, don't believe all that crap on the internet about earning 50 grand because unless you're successfully self employed or lucky enough to get on with a very good firm it isn't gonna happen. Think more 30k and you'll be nearer the mark. Hope some of this epic ramble is of use. :)

You could do NVQ Level 2, then Level 3, it wont be cheap. Once you have done them, C&G 2382, 2394 and 2395, again all this gets expensive, and you will need to be in Electrical employment to gain the relevant experience to be able to complete it all.

Cheers.........Howard

Reply to Thinking of training to become an electrician. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net