Discuss Third Party installation connection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

highspark

Just on a job. Guy wants couple of sockets and lights in garage.

There is already a SWA installed from hour to garage but not connected either side. Customer assures me qualified electrician buried it when the house was rewired a couple of years ago.

Just done IR tests and all serms to be ok. However i cant see what depth or how its been installed without lifting his patio up.

Best way to go about this in regards to certificate.... Write note regarding SWA installation was not performed bt myself... Etc

That old chestnut, Thats you call but if i was doing it and was doing other work then id cert it but make it clear as day that it was allready installed. Providing of course you are happy to do so.

I remember i had a call to a house one where a guy wanted a new DB fitting, When i went it was clear that he had rewired it himself and wanted me to connect to the board. Diagnal chases from sockets to wall lights and 4mm shower cable. I was assured this too had been installed by a "qualified electrician"

You normally get a feel for when you are being spun a line, In them cases id be walking. as for this one if you are happy with what is there (Obviously you cant tell how deep) then i crack on but cover your backside on the cert with exactly what you have done id use words like "Tested and connecting new circuit to existing swa cable"

I agree with bigbaddave. I look at it from the viewpoint:
I am certifying that those parts of the installation I have installed are compliant and the safety of those parts has not been compromised by, nor do they compromise the safety of other parts of the installation.
So that just leaves the issue "Is it save to energise existing cable?"

If the installation was re-wired a couple of years ago then documentation should exist:

• If it looks legitimate in comparison to the installation, there may be little reason to suspect that the cable was unsafe.
  • If there was no documentation and the householder does not know the name of the installer then you would have to ask yourself why.
  • The installer could be traceable through LABC. I was traced when one of my certificates went missing in a client's house move.

By boxing clever it should be possible to determine if the householder did it himself or not, especially if you say something like "It's no problem, I can check with building control who did it. The installer is liable for a fine up to £5000 if he hasn't notified the work, and that will prevent building control thinking you did it yourself and come knocking on your door with a summons."

The required cable depth is dependant on the type of ground surface. If it is soil, grass or loose chippings, then a sample inspection dig is easy. If it is concrete or paving, then depth doesn't really matter as the ground is providing mechanical protection.

The installer is liable for a fine up to £5000 if he hasn't notified the work

But if all he's done is un-roll a bit of SWA in a trench of unknown depth, it doesn't really need to be notified, does it?

The unknown installer/DIYer has not connected it to anything. He's left that for the highspark ;-)

The installer is liable for a fine up to £5000 if he hasn't notified the work

But if all he's done is un-roll a bit of SWA in a trench of unknown depth, it doesn't really need to be notified, does it?

The unknown installer/DIYer has not connected it to anything. He's left that for the highspark ;-)

No, the cable doesn't but the rewire does. If it was the rewire electrician that laid the cable, he could verify he laid it. If he didn't it could indicate it may be DIY. The householder may admit it if he did it rather than open a can of worms. Highspark would then know or at least have a better idea of what he is dealing with.

As long as cable tests out ok just note on cert cable already installed, as long as your work is up to scratch and that note is on the cert if it does turn out to be under the slabs and some landscaper rips it up re-laying the patio you're covered

the cert should say "connection of customer installed SWA cable. Unable to confirm depth or installation conditions" then you're covered IMHO

Reply to Third Party installation connection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net