Discuss This can't be right!? Wireing under sub-floor in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

rubrage

Took up the carpet as I am laying some wood flooring on my landing, I need to isolate the creaking and moving parts prior to laying the new solid wood tounge and groove. Discovered this <picture attached>. I had some work done a couple of years back to place wired smoke alarms in every room, It was a requirement as we had an attic conversion. So the workmen cut up the sub floor to get to the electrics below. That can't be right can it? that's like less than 10mm under the chipboard sub-floor. Could somebody advice please

This can't be right!? Wireing under sub-floor IMG_5759.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

No that is not right at all. It is amazing you did not damage them lifting the floor.
See that hole in the joist, that is where they should hav been but at a miumum of 50mm from the top or bottom. They do not look like smoke cables though ,unless they are 3core and earth.

What is that obstruction?

There are seven smoke alarms all linked and those grey cables go to the one in the living room possibly the last on the string. Don't want to fiddle too much the orange obstruction looks like a flat roofing tile?? Will this need to be corrected?

Yes, you will be advised to get those cable runs in the void out of harms way .
Why have they put a roofing tile there ?

all the cables come from the attic conversion along with the smoke circuit cables down to a panel with trip switch next to my existing electrics for the rest of the house.

I have no idea?!! attached some further pictures. This work was done over 3 years ago, where do I stand in calling them back, Is there any legal rights? 3 years on? thing is I have an electrical certificate to sign it all off. I found another horror story last year. I have an airing cupboard with alot of items in which they cleared to run cables down to. they then put all the 'crap' back in. Covering their work! When I cleared it I found a real mess of cables : (

This can't be right!? Wireing under sub-floor IMG_5762.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

This can't be right!? Wireing under sub-floor IMG_5760.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

That is disgusting .
The gist of it is - if you know who put this in and it has been signed off, get them back to do it properly.

Yes you have legal redress to that Although the regs are not statutory they set the standards required by BC and the health and safety etc.
That is clearly bad workmanship , and is potentially dangerous.
Some schemes have an extended guarantee , in any event I would check with a solicitor on the statute of limitations .

Yes, the texture on my screen confused me lol.
Thatis what is will be.
So instead of going through the RSJ they went over it, the cables are sitting on top of the RSJ and Joist beside it sandwiched by the subfloor and 4 screws. Genius! Just left a message with the builder.

Reply to This can't be right!? Wireing under sub-floor in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock