Discuss THIS is what happens when you exceed the rated wattage.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Guitarist

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Went to change a light fitting today for a couple who'd just moved in to their new house. The fitting was rated at 2 x 60w. The lamps actually in the fitting were 2 x 70w.
I'm used to seeing ceiling-mounted fittings with a little heat damage, but this was scary. The timber it was mounted to was blackened and had a very smokey smell to it....
WP_000153.jpg
The 3 black cables are grey T&E a few inches further along...

WP_000157.jpg

WP_000159.jpg

WP_000150.jpg

Last edited:
That can't have been just the 70W lamps surely - someone must have put 150s in or something to get THAT hot!

Watt do we know! Where just electricians,

Any bets it was the plumber?

See it too often, had similar problem in a nursing home last year. Owner took advice and only uses compact fittings now.

I have to say, the design of the fitting was appalling too. No shield behind the lamps or over the terminal block, and no heat-res sleeving over any cabling. Didn't help that the muppet who crammed the terminal strips into the void above had tucked the cables between the fitting and the timberwork.
From the smell of that wood, it wasn't far off a fire, and must have been smoking. Twin 5-year-olds moving into the room as well once it's decorated. Hate to think what would have happened if their Mum hadn't hated the fitting...

Most likely Argos crap, Iv seen some horrors from that junk, that is some heat damage I'd suspect its been well use with incorrect lamps.

the new fitting they they will need is going to be rather large looking at that hole if its to be covered.

Fortunately, the cables all came from one direction, so it was a simple job of installing the new fitting a foot or so nearer the centre of the room. Hole will be sorted. :)

I remember a few years back and a relative of mine complaining that "they don't make bulbholders like they used to,mine keeps breaking in the lounge" I went round to have a look and he's only got a 200w lamp in the thing, apparently "there's a little shop round the corner sells them and it saves me wearing my glasses" I often wondered if he had a 500w TH fitting as a bedside lamp.

but, going back to OP, can we be sure that it was caused by excessive load, or could it have been a poor connection arcing, overheating, with cables squashed in betweeen the fitting and the structure?

but, going back to OP, can we be sure that it was caused by excessive load, or could it have been a poor connection arcing, overheating, with cables squashed in betweeen the fitting and the structure?

Pretty sure it was heat from the lamps tel. They had it on when I arrived, and I had to put gloves on to take the glass cover off.

Probably just a combination of absolutely rubbish/poorly designed fitting, lamps being too high wattage and very efficient thermal insulation in the ceiling. Was certainly a fire hazard between the charred wood and the fact the wiring would possibly have started arcing at any time in the future, it's exactly how house fires start. If they had any other fittings remotely similar I'd have checked them as well.

Probably just a combination of absolutely rubbish/poorly designed fitting, lamps being too high wattage and very efficient thermal insulation in the ceiling. Was certainly a fire hazard between the charred wood and the fact the wiring would possibly have started arcing at any time in the future, it's exactly how house fires start. If they had any other fittings remotely similar I'd have checked them as well.

Already ahead of you there. Been round the whole place, and no more DIY fittings like that one :)

Reply to THIS is what happens when you exceed the rated wattage.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net