Discuss Those lovely plumbers in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparkinlee

I've done first fix on a house rewire, and am followed by the plumbers putting in a completely new central heating system. I go upstairs to find, under the landing floor:

2011-08-31 13.16.36.jpg

A whole bundle of cables sandwiched between heating flow and return pipes!

I've put foam insulation on the pipes to try to protect the cables from the direct heat, but do I need to insist the plumber adjusts the pipes? I don't fancy pulling the cables out to re-route - one of them I'm sure is the upstairs lighting feed continuous from CU downstairs to loft!

You're lucky, he's obviously a fully qualified plumber, there's usually scorch marks on the cables from the blowtorch when they solder a coupling nearby.

Is it just me or do others think that plumbing courses should include "mutual detrimental influences" such as what we have to comply with? Maybe they are told/trained in this but clearly the message isn`t getting through.........come across this myself loads.......

few weeks ago i had to replace some 600mm flush florries. the ones that take up 2 ceiling tiles. one of them wouldn't budge. bloody plumber had run 2 copper pipes tight across the top of it. plonker. he didn't half curse when he had to cut and re-route them FOC.

But as the o/p said...pipe bashers came in afterwards so surely the responsibility lies with them.....stuff like this can go unnoticed and be simmering away for an age with potentially dire consequences......yet another example of a lack of due care and attention. How come they can get away with it......

few weeks ago i had to replace some 600mm flush florries. the ones that take up 2 ceiling tiles. one of them wouldn't budge. bloody plumber had run 2 copper pipes tight across the top of it. plonker. he didn't half curse when he had to cut and re-route them FOC.
He can curse all he likes for me....he did it...he sorts it:yesnod:

not all that way round though. was on a new build once and one of our guts drilled through a stud wall with a 8mm bit and threaded an alarm cable through. a week later, the plumbers turned on the water and water came spurting through the wall. when they smashed off a big hole in the plasterboard they found that he'd drilled right through a 15mm copper pipe and threaded the alarm cable through the pipe. these were good plumberers though. they cut out the pipe with the cable through it and re-jigged the pipework, leaving a 6" length of pipe floating with the cable intact still through it. probably still there 30 years on. LOL.

not all that way round though. was on a new build once and one of our guts drilled through a stud wall with a 8mm bit and threaded an alarm cable through. a week later, the plumbers turned on the water and water came spurting through the wall. when they smashed off a big hole in the plasterboard they found that he'd drilled right through a 15mm copper pipe and threaded the alarm cable through the pipe. these were good plumberers though. they cut out the pipe with the cable through it and re-jigged the pipework, leaving a 6" length of pipe floating with the cable intact still through it. probably still there 30 years on. LOL.
No chance of getting any grommets on it then?..lol......

Is it just me or do others think that plumbing courses should include "mutual detrimental influences" such as what we have to comply with? Maybe they are told/trained in this but clearly the message isn`t getting through.........come across this myself loads.......

Send the loft insulation guys on the same course! Think they're gonna be the ones who burn down a house first due to their complete disregard for our installation methods and recessed lights! :rant:

Be very aware because my businenss is electrical repair I have lost count of the ammount of plumbers who have upgraded an electric shower and decided to swap a 7.5kw with a 9kw and because its on a rewireable fuse nothing shows up until 3-4 months later I get a call saying there is a burning smell coming from the switch/pullcord/fuseboard

Hi sparkinlee,

It would be worth politely pointing it out to the plumbers, but in the real life world I guess they only care for the time of the install and not for safety.
You could draw it to the attention of the employer / owner and ask how you are going to provide paperwork saying it is safe now?
When you installed the cables they were safe and now the status is a bit different!
Good luck with this one, diplomacy is probably better in the long run rather than a lot of aggro.
Best wishes
Rex

Be very aware because my businenss is electrical repair I have lost count of the ammount of plumbers who have upgraded an electric shower and decided to swap a 7.5kw with a 9kw and because its on a rewireable fuse nothing shows up until 3-4 months later I get a call saying there is a burning smell coming from the switch/pullcord/fuseboard
That one of the problems with BS3036s isn`t it.....a bit strong arnt they...........

That one of the problems with BS3036s isn`t it.....a bit strong arnt they...........

When i was a lad, they used to classify that 3036 rewireables as ''course'' protection and cartridge fuses/MCBs were ''fine'' protection. To bring the rewireable type fuses up a notch, they slapped the present multiplication factor on those course protected circuits....

Reply to Those lovely plumbers in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net