Discuss Thoughts/ideas on fused spur supplying wall mounted TV in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tasty

Hi All,

Just wondering if anybody could share their thoughts on a little job I'm doing, running a single socket to supply a wall mounted TV.

The upstairs ring is running off a 32A mcb, however every socket in the room requiring the TV is a spur it appears (each having only 1 cable running into the back). This left me looking to the adjacent room for the nearest usable socket, which I have found and am happy with.

As the carpet in the house has all been glued down, running the cable under boards is a no-go, so I'm looking to go up, across the loft space, then down the wall in the next room (all cables in mini trunking as the lady I'm doing the job for doesn't want the walls/wallpaper damaged) . This however is where I've been stressing a little, as the run of cable will need to be approx 7 meters and I'm aware spurs shouldn't be more than 3. Would I be correct in thinking a 13A FCU, connected before the spur reaches 3m, is the answer to this issue?

The socket is only intended to serve an LCD TV (approx 100w)

Thanks in advance, let me know if you need some more detail & I'll do my best

Stu

FCU adjacent to the socket you're coming off sounds fine by me.

no problem , mate. an alternative ( though some on here would disagree) would be to come off the lighting circuit in the loft and fit a 5A round pin socket for the TV, changing the plug on the TV to suit. this would remove the need to run trunking up the bedroom wall. this idea is often used for TV amplifiers in the loft where no socket wiring is available. obviously only to be used for small loads.

im not going to disagree telextric but by doing this you'll have no fuse protection at the TV plug ,think your first suggestion was the best

sorry, nick, i was meaning a fused plug on TV. this was just a thought to save unsightly trunling up the wall.

Thanks again both. My only other question would be then, is it ok to have the FCU in the loft space (approx 2m vertically from the socket) rather than adjacent? I'm just thinking of neatness, although I appreciate it is best to limit the spur length as much as possible.

ok, but should maintain the rfc to the spur as the cabling from the socket to the spur is protected at 30/32A.just means 2 cables to spur. and crimps in back of socket.

only problem with spur being in loft is if the fuse fails. elderly lady climbing into loft

Reply to Thoughts/ideas on fused spur supplying wall mounted TV in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net