Discuss Thoughts of 4g Outdoor Socket Outlets - are there any? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tasty

Hi all,

I've been looking to get hold of a 4g outdoor socket box with an appropriate IP rating (54 - 66) & 30mA RCD - I only seem to be able to find 2g options or weatherproof boxes that hold an extension lead, which I 'd prefer not to use.

The requirements from the client are to supply 2 water features, one has two plugs for lighting and power, so 3 in total, plus a spare would be useful for mobile equipment. I'd planned out taking a spur straight to a 4g box, but as they dont seem to exist, would you recommend 2 separate sockets or a single which then has this 4g extension lead plugged in?

Cheers in advance.

nb. I'm aware I can't put 2 sockets on one spur ;D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and say you can't get a 4g ip rated socket. Y don't u want to use a small weather proof box ?

For outside use I would not really want to go down an extension lead route.

Also if your spuring direct off a ring final you can not fit a 4 gang socket without the actual socket being fused. There are a few flush convertor 4 gang sockets that are fused and on the market, that convert a normal single or double socket to 4 gang but these are for flush applications.

So your choice would be a bank of 2 X doulbe waterseal type sockets, or a bank of 2 x Metal glad sockets in a IP rated enclosure. If you choose RCD sockets this would make the install very costly. Would it not be better to fit an internal RCD rated FCU, and then have 2 X BS 1363 Waterseal sockets outside, as the loads seem slight.

Well I guess it's not a problem really, just not the biggest fan of extension leads. Looks like the 1g option might be the best way forward here then. They've got a fairly large house so I might put it to them that 2 separate sockets situated at different ends of the garden is another option but either would be OK. I'm a bit of a stickler for a neat job, that's all :D

UPDATE: Just read the above post which wasn't there before, i'll look into that, good thinking! Thanks

couldnt you fit an rcd FCU beside indoor socket fused at 13a then wire 2 switched(non RCD) masterseals as the RCD masterseals are an arm n a leg this way your only taking 1 unfused spur but feeding 2 doubles

Just a thought you may have to use the BIG BOX method as the pumps will probably have transformers on them ??? if your going to have to use big box id still fit a FCU RCD internaly gives them a switching point inside as wel

Cheers for all your help guys.

Decided to go a completely different route and install a dedicated garage 4 way unit as there's going to be a good amount of load added to the ring if I start looking at too many lights, fountains etc from one spur.

Thanks again!

couldnt you fit an rcd FCU beside indoor socket fused at 13a then wire 2 switched(non RCD) masterseals as the RCD masterseals are an arm n a leg this way your only taking 1 unfused spur but feeding 2 doubles

Just a thought you may have to use the BIG BOX method as the pumps will probably have transformers on them ??? if your going to have to use big box id still fit a FCU RCD internaly gives them a switching point inside as wel

Problem with that is if there is already a RCD protecting the circuit you would need discrimination between them

Reply to Thoughts of 4g Outdoor Socket Outlets - are there any? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net