Discuss Thoughts on compatible power tool batteries? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Just been looking at some cordless SDS drills, need one for a job with no power on site.opted for the DCH253 SDS+, only £128 for the drill on its own.
so get to the batteries.
The Dewalt branded 18v 4.0Ah battery is around £48.00, the 5.0Ah Dewalt battery is £68.00
Looking online(amazon) you can get a 2 pack of compatible 5.0Ah batteries for £60, which is quite a saving.
There cant be a huge difference in the power. whether they hold 5.0Ah long term or not is to be seen.
Have people used the compatibles and what did they think on how long the batteries lasted verses the branded ones and the life span?
I am tempted to get the one 4.0Ah dewalt battery then get the 2 pack to compare.

I've had that Dewalt SDS for a few years now ........... IMHO 1 battery won't be enough (I've got the 4 ah versions)

All my batteries are dewalt .....

I’ve bought two compatible batteries for my Hilti TE6A and they’ve done the job at half the price. I think the only change and detrimental issue is the durability of the plastics used to house the batteries. I feel that they are more brittle than the big brands batteries so suffer if dropped.
Worth the savings in my opinion but don’t be kicking them around (not that you should anyway)
Obviously there will be nay sayers regarding aftermarket batteries but £100 a throw for a 36v 4.0 amp/hr battery is rediculous especially when you need two for a good day out.

My apprentice has just got some compatible milwaukee batteries around 2 weeks ago, obviously 2 weeks doesn't prove how long they last but so far they've been the exact same as my milwaukee branded 5ah

I'd keep all my cordless kit (or as much as I can) to the same brand. Be it Dewalt, Milwaukee, Hitachi, Makita or others. Then I'd stick with the manufacturers batteries. Some of the fake batteries are good, some are terrible. One terrible fake battery could wreck all your kit for the saving of very litte.

I am going to get one branded 4.0Ah dewalt battery with the sds then get the 2 pack non branded compatible 5.0Ah for £60.
If the cheaper ones prove themselves I will in all likelihood buy more.
Chances are inside the lithium cells are made by the same company. At one point samsung made the cells in both makita and dewalt batteries, price difference was nearly £20, all that was different was a small circuit board and the plastic casing.

Reply to Thoughts on compatible power tool batteries? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock