Discuss Thoughts on moving an existing CU in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Local funeral place is getting a new mortuary fridge unit, and needs some work done.

The CU, just for the room, is high up in the corner, just above the fridge unit. Stupid place to have it, as you need to crawl over the top of the unit to get to it. 2 foot of crawl space, and my dodgy knee. Great.

Board just needs moved along the wall to above the door, everything in surface pvc trunking on wet wall panelling. No trouble extending circuits.
No room elsewhere to put it. Walls are lined with cabinets and other equipment. Above the door is an improvement, just not an ideal working height.

From what I can see, it’s an old Merlin Gerin board, no rcd.

Ideally, would change the board to all RCBO… but I can’t even tell how many circuits are off this board.
Going in on Saturday to PAT their equipment… so I’ll get up on the fridge for a better look.

There's a liability issue to consider. Someone up on a chair, resetting something on the CU. Someone charges through the door, All go flying. Injuries are incurred. Who fitted that CU in such a stupid place, contrary to recommendations?

There's a liability issue to consider. Someone up on a chair, resetting something on the CU. Someone charges through the door, All go flying. Injuries are incurred. Who fitted that CU in such a stupid place, contrary to recommendations?

Just make sure the door is open when messing with the CU.. Job done. 😁

It's posts like this that inspire my horror movie writing,
I guess at some stage the existing freezer will be off for a bit? That's ok for a few hours as long as nobody opens the fridge door and things start defrosting.

Where are the tails coming in to the existing CU, could you tap into these and add another twin CU?

The supply is from a 32A mcb in the main board, so suspect 4 or 6mm t&e.. might be SWA.

I did ask what happens to the fridges with the power off for a time…

“Just keep the doors shut. Be alright”

Ok, so just like a domestic fridge freezer, then. 🥶

why not find a suitable location outside of the room especially as the walls in the room are wet.?

why not find a suitable location outside of the room especially as the walls in the room are wet.?
I did think of this, Tel.
Back to back is the chapel of rest room… (where the door goes) and there’s nothing on the wall.

Could leave it in a corner, but bring it down to a manageable height.

I don’t really know how “wet” the room gets. Nothing is IP rated, no drains on the floor or anything.
I think it’s just been wet wall panelled for ease of cleaning.

Wet walls and electricity, crossed with mortuary fridge units and defrosting freezers, makes me wonder if something like this was behind the ideas for the writer of the book Frankenstein.

Mind you if you want to see walking dead people, you only have go shopping for the day in Central Milton Keynes!

Wet walls and electricity, crossed with mortuary fridge units and defrosting freezers, makes me wonder if something like this was behind the ideas for the writer of the book Frankenstein.

Mind you if you want to see walking dead people, you only have go shopping for the day in Central Milton Keynes!
I will not be doing this work in the middle of a lightning storm…

“It’s aliiiiiive!”

Who fitted that CU in such a stupid place, contrary to recommendations?
So, so, SO many people :(

My own flat has the CU about 8 feet above the ground, just as you come in the door. It did cross my mind to move it, but a massive job as few other places that are actually more sane near there, and it would also really mean getting the DNO to move the cutout/meter which is also there, or me to fins some means of getting SWA to another place. Opposite side and lower was obvious choice, but fitted wardrobe in bedroom. Sigh.

I think the room had been wired before they thought about where the fridge was going.
Maybe the original unit was only one door, 3 drawers… and they’ve upgraded to twice the size, hence blocking access to the board.

Now they’re upgrading again… slightly larger unit. No more capacity, but around 8 inches wider… more insulation maybe??

The old unit is going up to their other premises. A garage where they keep the limos and 200 odd coffins.

I’m moving the light at some point as well..

Switch is getting blanked off, new fridge is wider and will cover. Hoping I can pull cables up into that trunking to joint. (In a box, not joint in trunking)
Still a working switch at other door.
Wall is brick, so putting things on other side of wall could be messy.

Thoughts on moving an existing CU IMG_3907 - EletriciansForums.net

How much time is there between the old unit being removed and the new one being installed?

Or how much time can you negotiate for?

I’m moving the light at some point as well..
Presumably new LED one?
Switch is getting blanked off, new fridge is wider and will cover. Hoping I can pull cables up into that trunking to joint. (In a box, not joint in trunking)
Still a working switch at other door.
I wondered about that, if going for a movement sensor in the light rather than switch?

I am presuming it is not going to have the 'clients' walking about at night...
Wall is brick, so putting things on other side of wall could be messy.
True, though a masonry/diamond hole saw would allow a neat 2-3" hole to be cut for cables to go therough and you could have trunking running down on the other side to the CU.

Don’t want to damage the decor on other side of wall, it’s the Chapel of Rest.

Crawled over the fridge and took cover off.

Thoughts on moving an existing CU IMG_3914 - EletriciansForums.net

I can see now the wet wall cut around this… so I’ll repurpose as a joint box and run extensions along the 2x2 below.

Reply to Thoughts on moving an existing CU in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock