Discuss Thoughts on overloaded radial? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all

Pretty new to working for self. Got call out yesterday for a ring circuit that kept tripping rcd. I identified the faulty cable which had low 0.05 IR reading L to N. I followed this to where next point should be but on opening circuit found only one cable...not good. On closer inspection of sockets I found that most of them had c.p.c's cut out. I can only imagine previous spark had thought this good idea as a previous earth fault had been tripping rcd. Why he cut them right out though so they are impossible to extend I don't know. Anyhow now having disconnected faulty cable decided best thing I could do to make 2.5 not overloaded was to change 32amp mcb for 20amp problem being the washing machine, boiler and oven all on this circuit I did expect this would trip out but thought at least I've give them some power back temporalily which had been without for 3 days and protected cable from overheating. I advised at time although cooker had no rating on it this is likely to cause trouble with circuit and really needs own circuit and is likely to trip out and that ring really needs to be rewired with at very least a new leg from board. What has surprised me is landlord has phoned me since and rather than mcb tripping what's happening is when the various appliances are on other appliances lose power. Ie washine machine on and boiler stops working, cooker on washine machine stops working. Why would this be the case rather than mcb trip out? Thanks

Are you saying that the RFC you were called out to investigate a fault, has no CPC? and yet you left it connected?
Did you carry out any of the testing that is required for RFCs, if so what were the results? would be interesting to see them.
'

What's the R1+R2 for the circuit? Possibly volt drop causing undervoltage.

Are you saying that the RFC you were called out to investigate a fault, has no CPC? and yet you left it connected?
Did you carry out any of the testing that is required for RFCs, if so what were the results? would be interesting to see them.
'

Pete
I have previously been in this situation and others have advised that no c.p.cs at sockets/appliances is not reason enough to not reenergise circuit. If advised client, noted this clearly on cert and put sticker on DB are you saying I shouldn't of done this and walked away from job without reenegising? Thanks

Pete
I have previously been in this situation and others have advised that no c.p.cs at sockets/appliances is not reason enough to not reenergise circuit. If advised client, noted this clearly on cert and put sticker on DB are you saying I shouldn't of done this and walked away from job without reenegising? Thanks

Are you sure that advice wasn't for a lighting circuit? An RFC without a CPC is a lot more dangerous.

Pete
I have never heard that advice and personally I don't think I would have re-energised sockets with no CPC. Possibly leave them some temporary power or try and connect whichevet socket have an earth as I would consider having no earth dangerous.

Pete
Yes I am

Ok thanks I'll call her and send email confirming this circuit should be powered off an not reenergised until all earthing has been rectified
Go there yourself, disconnect all the RFC conductors at the CU and lock off the CB that was feeding the RFC asking your customer to switch it off is hardly a professional approach, It's your neck on the line mate, make sure 100% all RFC conductors are ditched from the CU.

You don't really have the authority to disconnect the circuit unless the client is happy with this. What you need to do is put in writing the possible consequences of the situation and get the client to sign it, then it is up to them. Unfortunately you have now altered the circuit when what you should have done, hindsight is a great thing, is left it as it was and notify the client. As it was it posed no threat as the rcbo was tripping but you have now reintroduced the hazard.

You don't really have the authority to disconnect the circuit unless the client is happy with this. What you need to do is put in writing the possible consequences of the situation and get the client to sign it, then it is up to them. Unfortunately you have now altered the circuit when what you should have done, hindsight is a great thing, is left it as it was and notify the client. As it was it posed no threat as the rcbo was tripping but you have now reintroduced the hazard.
As a professional Electrician you should not leave some dangerous and as the client switch it off, sorry Westy, that's a lame excuse Mate. Would hate to think what would happen if the OP had left it was and Mr or Mrs Client had got a whack from something that wasn't Earthed and didn't do anything about it, think the Judge would have differing views to yours.

The worst thing he did was to alter it and get the circuit active again so at the moment he is now responsible for it. What I am saying is you put it in writing to the client and for them to sign it, leave the circuit as you found it which was tripping anyway and walk away.

The worst thing he did was to alter it and get the circuit active again so at the moment he is now responsible for it. What I am saying is you put it in writing to the client and for them to sign it, leave the circuit as you found it which was tripping anyway and walk away.
That's one way I suppose!! So you have come across something that is potentially lethal and you walk away, what happened to the duty of care to your customer, out the window I presume? sorry Mate can't agree with your reasoning, flawed somewhat.

Last edited:

Reply to Thoughts on overloaded radial? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net