Discuss Thoughts on price please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kev.k

-
Reaction score
Hi all!

I have recently priced a job and a couple of friends have said they would have priced higher. I don't do loads of my own work as I work for a company so always struggle trying to price fair but where it's also worth it to me

• Board change (currently old rewirable board) will test the full property first before sticking an RCD board on
  • New cooker circuit
  • Investigate fault on lighting circuit
  • Second fix new kitchen wired by builders ?
  • Move light switch
  • Move high level socket

I have quoted £1350 all in with materials, any thoughts? Just want to see how it compares so I have a better idea going forward. I'm based in the Midlands

Thanks

Board change full rcbo board + test + partpee noti about £1100 ball park

the rest on hourly rate + materials @ £65 per hour

i would probably work backwards and do all the jobs first and then board swap last so walk away a completed job once board is done

You can’t put a price on fault finding. Could take hours, could take 5 minutes.

Same goes for coming in after the builders attempt at wiring a kitchen. You might have to rip it out and start again.

Board change full rcbo board + test + partpee noti about £1100 ball park

the rest on hourly rate + materials @ £65 per hour

i would probably work backwards and do all the jobs first and then board swap last so walk away a completed job once board is done
that's affluent Surrey pricing. north of watford, be looking more like 60% - 70% of your figures

There cant be many fully qualified, insured and scam registered sparks working for less than 60£ ph these days , unless it’s cash in hand work

£30/hour up here gets customer saying " as much as that? would have thought £20 tops".

£65 an hour.....£520 a day? and that's without mats.

For 50 weeks, all four day, that's 100k. Allowing for all costs, I'm sure that would still leave you well into the 'high tax' bracket.
With such fairy tale stats for domestic work, it's no wonder the untrained are paying through the nose to join our ranks.

At that, two days a week for a grand would suit me juuust fine, baby.....and that's with domestic a fraction of the work done.

For 50 weeks, all four day, that's 100k. Allowing for all costs, I'm sure that would still leave you well into the 'high tax' bracket.
With such fairy tale stats for domestic work, it's no wonder the untrained are paying through the nose to join our ranks.

At that, two days a week for a grand would suit me juuust fine, baby.....and that's with domestic a fraction of the work done.
you have to understand that in the south east, they need to factor in the 3 days a week in the salon. fake tan, sauna, hair dye, manicures, pedicures, facial hair removal, Porsche, high maintenance mistress in a £2000 /week apartment. etc.,etc.

Very rarely do you get 7-8 paid hours actual paid work out of every single jobbing day

There is a lot of travel time and down time stuck in morning traffic , trying to find car parking , collecting gear that just eats into your week

The £65 on paper looks good but who’s paying for the hours in the van between jobs ? £65 is probably more like £45 once you deduct your unpaid time out of the equation

you have to understand that in the south east, they need to factor in the 3 days a week in the salon. fake tan, sauna, hair dye, manicures, pedicures, facial hair removal, Porsche, high maintenance mistress in a £2000 /week apartment. etc.,etc.

my hairdresser earns more than me , he is £80 per hour and uses your electric as he comes to your house :)

Very rarely do you get 7-8 paid hours actual paid work out of every single jobbing day

There is a lot of travel time and down time stuck in morning traffic , trying to find car parking , collecting gear that just eats into your week

The £65 on paper looks good but who’s paying for the hours in the van between jobs ? £65 is probably more like £45 once you deduct your unpaid time out of the equation
I've come to understand all that, over the years. One day less a week though, remember. That's two hours a day to allow for sundries. £45 for a self employed or small contractor is still high.......£54 an hour, including vat. So your £65 becomes £78 to the customer. That's way over the top, certainly around these parts, even in industrial.
I should have joined the 'bar', not just drank at it.

Hi all!

I have recently priced a job and a couple of friends have said they would have priced higher. I don't do loads of my own work as I work for a company so always struggle trying to price fair but where it's also worth it to me

• Board change (currently old rewirable board) will test the full property first before sticking an RCD board on
  • New cooker circuit
  • Investigate fault on lighting circuit
  • Second fix new kitchen wired by builders ?
  • Move light switch
  • Move high level socket

I have quoted £1350 all in with materials, any thoughts? Just want to see how it compares so I have a better idea going forward. I'm based in the Midlands

Thanks
Can't really see anything wrong with the quote especially with the fault finding included. It would probably be a little expensive for where I live, but considering the builders wiring could be an absolute nightmare, I'd say the quote Is fine.

Reply to Thoughts on price please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net