Discuss Thoughts on spur off a light circuit for smart camera? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Have been asked to install a little smart camera from nest for a couple. It needs to go on the soffit covering the side of house by the shed/greenhouse as they have had issues with local teens being little gits.. High enough to cover drive approaching and actual shed but not so low the teens can reach it.
There is no power close on the corner of the house and they arent too keen on me pulling floorboards up to access the ring,other than the lighting circuit in the loft there is no obvious source, so whats peoples views on adding a unswitched FCU with 2 amp fuse to power the nest camera?
Seen it done many a time for house alarms siren box but not for a single camera...
The first thing that come to mind was loadings on the existing 1.5mm light circuit but the camera adaptor only draws 0.2 amps ....
A outdoor socket at the top of the wall by soffit is just unworkable as you'd need a big ladder to unplug it.. and the couple are not the most mobile given age.
I was thinking of unswitched 2 amp DCU and cut off the supplied plug and feed cable into the FCU. then this cable has little connection box that a locking usb connects in to feed camera.
There is a video from nest if it helps explain better.
Thoughts welcome? as I am a bit unsure as not had much experience of this new Nest stuff, which tbh looks and seems good quality. Only dealt with Yale cctv before,

Why the FCU though? I'd install a 13a socket in the same place as the FCU and label it as camera only, no risk of overload as the lighting OCPD protects it. No need to cut the plug off then possibly voiding the warranty (cue howls of protest but it DOES happen). If you are concerned having a 13a socket on a lighting circuit you could always connect it to the load side of an FCU fused at 2a. I cant see the logic in your point about the owners not being able to climb a ladder to unplug...they wont be able to access the FCU either will they?

Last edited by a moderator:
I did consider a labelled dedicated socket but was thinking ahead that if somebody else were to go in loft and plug something else in then its far from ideal in terms of unknown loads. you cant account for peoples future decisions though and only deal with whats there at time.
the couple do go up in the loft as it has a trap door ladder thing. but certainly wont be climbing up a ladder on the outside wall!

Yes. Ask the camera if it thinks its so smart!
I've done the same to get power to an aerial amplifier. Upstairs lighting circuit with only 5 lamps on a 5A MCB.

Reply to Thoughts on spur off a light circuit for smart camera? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net