Discuss Thoughts on this earthing at cut out..... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
On a job this evening just taking a look around and meeting customer as wants downstairs rewired.
Only collecting keys before i go back and do a few tests and quote fully.
Appears at sometime to have been TNS but changed to PME?
Instead of earth and Neutral joining in the cut out. They are joined in a Henley.
Is this permissable?
First thought was no. But more I think about it. What difference does it make so long as they join - be it in cutout or henley a few inches later?
Thoughts?

Images show earthing in henley going behind board to CU.
Old bonding strap fixed to outer sheath!!
Cut out without earth going in the side. On closer examination it appears there is a small hole, presumably for the earthing but has lack of access.

Thoughts on this earthing at cut out..... 20190415_190634 - EletriciansForums.net

Thoughts on this earthing at cut out..... 20190415_190630 - EletriciansForums.net

Thoughts on this earthing at cut out..... 20190415_190646 - EletriciansForums.net

Thing is you won't really know if it is. You will have a low impedance loop L-N & L-E, most likely less than 0.35 ohms Ze, but is it really TNCS? Could have a look in neighbours house if poss, see if they have a TNCS cutout. Should definitely get DNO out to look at that.

If it’s TNS will be different readings L-E and L-N being separate conductors whereras TNCS would give exact same readings as it’s the same conductor ?

Yeah, you get same readings as they are supplied by same conductor. The issue is, this is using the dedicated neutral of the old TNS as a PEN conductor when it may not actually be one...

Is it a secondary cutout? That's where I've generally seen this done, especially when they are a few neutrals to combine, so the cutout is effectively extended using a block. But even then, I've not seen an earth thrown in there ad-hoc.

Anyway, there's only one neutral so I'm probably wrong.

Is it a secondary cutout? That's where I've generally seen this done, especially when they are a few neutrals to combine, so the cutout is effectively extended using a block. But even then, I've not seen an earth thrown in there ad-hoc.

Anyway, there's only one neutral so I'm probably wrong.
No secondary cutout. It comes in from outside. To immediate left is the front door.

Of course in the regs the use of neutral and earth combined is not permitted within the installation. But technically I guess it is not within the installation it is prior to the meter and within the responsibility of the DNO. I do know of electricians that do not hesitate to do their own PME like this so yes it may be a diy. Update us @Gavin John Hyde when they look.

Reply to Thoughts on this earthing at cut out..... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock