Discuss Thoughts on this hybrid configuration in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,

I've come across this setup and although not exactly standard, can't fault it. What are your thoughts. I'm guessing it's just a hybrid/lollipop config.

All cable, including the SWA that runs externally to the garage is 2.5mm t&e.

A socket on the ring feeds an adaptable box, which goes to SWA, underground about 2m then clipped direct about a meter to the garage DB which feeds on lighting and sockets.

Notes_201021_083255.jpg

A lollipop ring is specifically one where a single larger cable runs from the board to a remote point, where it splits into a ring. What you have is just an ordinary ring with an unfused spur that feeds more than one BS1363 point via the garage DB. It does not qualify as a fused spur because the maximum OCPD rating is either a 13A fuse or 16A MCB, therefore it is non-compliant. One might argue that the total of 26A OCPD in the garage board allows no greater load than two 13A plugs in one double socket fed by a compliant unfused spur, but that is not how RFCs are intended to be used.

A lollipop ring is specifically one where a single larger cable runs from the board to a remote point, where it splits into a ring. What you have is just an ordinary ring with an unfused spur that feeds more than one BS1363 point via the garage DB. It does not qualify as a fused spur because the maximum OCPD rating is either a 13A fuse or 16A MCB, therefore it is non-compliant. One might argue that the total of 26A OCPD in the garage board allows no greater load than two 13A plugs in one double socket fed by a compliant unfused spur, but that is not how RFCs are intended to be used.
Thanks @Lucien Nunes,

In order to make this compliant then, I'd need to advise the 2.5 SWA is fed via a 13A fused spur or ideally, a new circuit run to that point for the garage feed (however this is unlikely to be a realistic option)?

Thanks,

D

Yes, unless the load in the garage would be expected to exceed 13A. If there is a washing machine or other large appliance in there, or provision for one, I would consider this an inadequate solution as the simultaneous use of one other socket for a significant load such as a heater would exceed the supply and the likelihood of blowing that fuse with a long low overload is objectionable on a number of counts.

The new circuit would be the preferred option, however it's an unlikely one that the customer will go for (it's been brought up and they're not keen). A fused spur would surely suffice to make it compliant?
Either take out the cu in the garage on put in a fuse non switch or walk.a lot of customers say it worked before why change it.

Recently came across a similar issue, on a TT system.
6mm SWA taken from a double socket on a typical 32A ring in 2.5mmT&E, the SWA went to a remote building, with a 6way Consumer Unit, a 16 radial to several double sockets and a 6A lighting circuit, needless to say it's being rectified when I go there to start sorting things out.

I've seen a couple of lollipop setups, typically when a kitchen has been extended/knocked about, old 6mm cooker circuit used to supply new 2.5mm ring from old cooker control unit, not perfect, but ultimately it all stacks up as far as cable and OCPD is concerned.

Reply to Thoughts on this hybrid configuration in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net