Discuss Thoughts on this picture? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

looks like SWA through PVC Conduit - not sure why you need the extra protection on SWA cable though!

Also if this is an advert it does not do much for their company!

And if the plasterer hadn't removed the plaster, all would have looked fine.

They may strugle to get sockets on those boxes unless they are deeep.

I hate it when people leave the stickers on the conduit - looks so DIY.

The purpose of this installation baffles me? You could even suggest it to be non compliant as BS 7671 does not recognise Reference method B as a method for PVC/SWA - It only has reference methods C, E and D if I recall.

Looking at it again, it could be a large T+E?

Its definately 10mm T+E, and they are extra deep backboxes by the looks of it. Looks like its a for cooker circuit and the walls are going to be plasterboarded (i hope). TBH i don't see what is so bad about it, the only thing i can pick fault with is its not 100% straight but seriously who cares if its getting boarded over. And also hes took too much pipe into the backboxes, and so yes may struggle to get the fronts on! I think using conduit is a good idea as it will help cable replacement (if needed) in the future. Wouldnt like to try and push 10mm down that like haha!

Well it doesnt benefit your company as such, and I certainly wouldnt put it on a company website etc, but you tell me how it doesnt comply with the regs or what is so wrong with putting T+E in conduit?

My guess is it's a box for a cooker switch and the low level one is for the outlet. It's a bit cack though isn't it

If it is going to be buried behind plaster board why use an inspection elbow ................why not buy a couple of 10p adapters and use singles........................come on even taking into consideration it's going to be behind some plasterboard, and if they are extra deep boxes I hope its battened out , as they are going to be using an awful lot of dab otherwise ......................... there is a good way and that way to do a job

Oh im not denying its a poor picture. Theres nothing actually wrong with the work he has done, but i certainly wouldn't be putting a photo up of it on my website lol

If I'm piping into boxes I'm going to use bushes etc to end the conduit at the box not in it so I could get the accessory on afterwards. I'd also make sure the conduit was square and plumb and that the right bend had been used, especially if I'm putting it on a website for the whole world to see

Well it doesnt benefit your company as such, and I certainly wouldnt put it on a company website etc, but you tell me how it doesnt comply with the regs or what is so wrong with putting T+E in conduit?

You tell me why its okay and you will answer your question.

lol, i think its ROUGH! I wouldn't or even consider doing that ever! I mean how long would it take to put a bush on! Im thinking they don't even know what a bush is!

Using reference method A and 70C PVC cable with a size of 10mm, the CCC is 44A. Now whats the problem? I know theres no reference method B, however, surely method A (conduit in a thermally insulated wall would give you worst case scenario? As ive said previously, im not defending the guy, the work looks crap and i wouldnt advertise it or do it myself but what is actually unsafe about the work?

Did some work at a well known bank last year and the main electrical contractors who we subbied to insisted all drops were in 25mm conduit so future maintenance was easy. We did use adaptors and the boxes were 47mm ones to take the adaptors. Even in stud walls we used metal boxes screw to pre-positioned noggins. I dont see anything wrong in running t&e in conduit, no different to putting it into oval really.

Nothing wrong with the idea, but you have to think why?

If wall is getting boarded then whats wrong with good old capping to hold it in place.

Its just that this attempt is a shambles, as theres no way they will ever get the accessories to fit as they haven't bothered using any adaptors/bushes.

OP come on give us the link to the company HA HA

Reply to Thoughts on this picture? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock