Discuss Thoughts on this please...? 10mm tails !! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Just seeing what others would have done ?

New kitchen install ===> 2 x 4 way wylex rewirable CUs - 1xlights 1xpower (sketchy wiring / can of worms) ====> SO ====> henleys + split tails + mini cu for kitchen install (simples:smiley2:)

My only concern is the 2 existing CUs are supplied via 2 x sets of 10mm tails, and I've got to take these tails out the meter and move into henleys, so I can then install my new set of 16mm tails from the mini cu to henleys and henleys to meter.... (hope that makes sense)

The cut out is sealed and looks like the original one dating back to the 1940's - no way of telling if it's a 60amp or not ?

So should I be upgrading the existing tails to 16mm even though I'm not going to be working on these old CUs ? (complete nightmare if so)

In theory I haven't made the installation any worst :lightbulb:

Any thoughts please.

Cheers Sy

I'm honestly not sure about the 10mm tails, I would probably leave them as is and put into blocks as you suggest. You should add a single point of isolation between the blocks and the meter and presumambly the main bonding is done (or you are doing?)?

Regards.

Oh, and if I believed the 10mm tails were undersized, I'd note it on my cert.

Last edited:
Think I will give the NICEIC technical line a ring on Monday see what they reckon.....

Let us know what they say. I'm surprised there hasn't been any other feedback on this query - it's probably a situation which comes up quite a lot!

Is it out of the question to persuade your client to replace the 2 old Wylex boards with a nice modern CU - and then install a new set of tails from the meter?

Not your domain - but what is between the cut-out and the meter out of interest?

Isnt the meter sealed too? Although i find it slightly hard to follow your explanation i get the jist that you have the 10mm doubled up in the meter as is now then out to their respective DB, you want to take these off the meter and into an henley block, refeed the block from the meter and then feed your new DB from the henley too, as mentioned by polo1 put a single point of isolation but if you make it a 3 phase isolator then single phase link the incoming side you could then fit the appropriate fuses for each dist' board and all is good and not a henley block in sight..... :) but tail from meter to isolator in 25mm not 16mm and get an isolator that has a single phasing kit as an optional extra.

Is it out of the question to persuade your client to replace the 2 old Wylex boards with a nice modern CU - and then install a new set of tails from the meter?

Wouldnt want to do it.... quite a lot of dodgy DIY things going on, could see quite a lot of faults rearing their ugly head. And the customers on a tight budget as usual.

what is between the cut-out and the meter out of interest?

16mm VIR

Isnt the meter sealed too?

No seal present..

Last edited:
I had a Kitchen contract, where the CU was in the middle of the house and the meter/ cutout was in the bin area out frount. had to do CU change and various kitchen alterations and gas /water bond.
I phoned the NICEIC tec about the existing 10 mm tails and he seemed happy aslong as the cutout was 60amp or less. it was 60 so all ok.. his reason was the 10 mm tails would be protected in a short circuit situation..

I would leave as is and just henley block them.. But if you do phone the tech department would love to see if they change their minds..

strangly enougth ive never come across a meter thats sealed. is it just me or are these meter fitters just forgetting :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Thoughts on this please...? 10mm tails !! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock