Discuss Thoughts please ?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Was sent out to a 2 bed flat by my employer to change 90% of wiring accesories and carry out trunking work etc tidy up existing installation also change C/U and carry out a full test. Upon arrival the wiring was a mess old tin plated cable with all circuits needed to be extending into new board. I was given from 2 o clock to carry out all this work and investigate any possible faults and to identify which circuit went where etc. To my understanding they should have provided me with the most recent eicr recomending the improvements atleast making it more effiecient for me rather than struggling to identify circuits. Once the work had been done then issue a EIC to client. I think the company are chancing and expecting miracles given the time and workload thoughs please

2pm to change a board , most accessories and carry out a full eicr , you are having a laugh unless you work to near midnight..
You could probably do the accessories and eicr but would need to go back to change the board...

Was sent out to a 2 bed flat by my employer to change 90% of wiring accesories and carry out trunking work etc tidy up existing installation also change C/U and carry out a full test. Upon arrival the wiring was a mess old tin plated cable with all circuits needed to be extending into new board. I was given from 2 o clock to carry out all this work and investigate any possible faults and to identify which circuit went where etc. To my understanding they should have provided me with the most recent eicr recomending the improvements atleast making it more effiecient for me rather than struggling to identify circuits. Once the work had been done then issue a EIC to client. I think the company are chancing and expecting miracles given the time and workload thoughs please
From 2 o'clock until when? looks like your Boss is extracting the Michael.

My contractual hours are till 16:30 but can work over if needed but to be expected to carry out this type of work in such short space of time is micky mouse in my opinion
I'm not sure what changing 90% of accessories means or trunking work, but lets say it takes 3 hours. EICR takes say 3 hours, CU change 4 hours. So you're looking at 1 long day's work (very approximately not having seen the work required).

How long do they expect "identifying faults" to take?
There could be a weeks worth of work there to repair. they don't have a crystal ball.

Just finish at normal time, and tell them you need to go back. They should be half expecting you to say that... and if they expect you to sign an eicr, saying its allright when its not.... tell them to sign it themselves!

There could be a weeks worth of work there to repair. they don't have a crystal ball.

Just finish at normal time, and tell them you need to go back. They should be half expecting you to say that... and if they expect you to sign an eicr, saying its allright when its not.... tell them to sign it themselves!
I think too many firms out there now expecting to take on electricians with all the relevant qualifications and pay them pitence and expect you to work you arse off to line there pockets at the end of the day it would be myself as a competent test and inspect electrician to sign the installation off and be satisfied to walk away rather than being rushed to conform to company time constraints and keep the productivity up

And pick up your cards at the end of the week, your Employers do clearly, not know how to run an Electrical business, to give you those time constraints is clearly unacceptable, stupidity rules OK.

Obviously whoever is instructing you hasn't done the job themselves or are expecting to to cut corners. Don't worry yourself about. Explain to them it's not possible and of it doesn't work out there is plenty of other jobs out there.

It was very nice of the DNO to come out and isolate the supply for you and reinstate it at that short notice. Your boss must be well in with them. ;)

I sympathise with you having to take so much on in an afternoon, fault finding, too?
What was the outcome, you don't say?
I'm a bit baffled with the 'old tin plated cable' though.

I sympathise with you having to take so much on in an afternoon, fault finding, too?
What was the outcome, you don't say?
I'm a bit baffled with the 'old tin plated cable' though.
I took it as old lead cable still in service , which this is pretty are these days.
Have Only come across lead cables still in use about 5 or 6 times in my life.
Thinking about it the flat could well have been wired in micc ?

I’ve had all sorts of bosses, some good, some that didn’t have a clue and some that were just plain nasty.

I‘m guessing your boss falls between the last two, and has given you some deadlines too meet, either knowing or not your unlikely to meet. If you bust a gut, just to finish half of it, in the time allocated, he or she has won a small management battle, ready to put you in a corner for the next one.

Work at the pace you think appropriate, and if they aren’t happy with your abilities, find another employer who does.

I took it as old lead cable still in service , which this is pretty are these days.
Have Only come across lead cables still in use about 5 or 6 times in my life.
Thinking about it the flat could well have been wired in micc ?
Imperial cable, Copper (TINNED )conductors, or aluminium conductors?

Yh persume old copper tinned t&e atleast 30 to 40 yrs old
A good bit older than that.....60 at least.
Good stuff in it's time though, unlike 'copper clad' (70's and 80's). Now that was rubbish..

Reply to Thoughts please ?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock