Discuss Thoughts? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It looks like a PITA to work on
BUT
we don't know the full story, and why it was done this way,
could have been a perfectily legitimate reason originally.
And considering it's age, it don't look too bad.

Seen a lot worse at some of the older subs I've worked at.

Working “Hot” aka Live. No rubber mat. Just cardboard. Hardly any PPE. Over the rubber gloves should be another set of gloves. No Bomb suit. No rubber tooling. Just an accident waiting to happen. I dread to think of work you’ve seen that’s worse.

I was referring to the live exposed bars etc. Agree, no ppe, non insulated tools etc is a definite no.

I do plenty of live working but sometimes you have to weigh up the risk and say no, the clown in that video is an accident waiting to happen. Aside from the PPE, using that metal extension socket beggars belief.

Only once in 10 years have i actually worked live without planning it, i probably looked like the guy in the video. I used tools scavenged from a vehicles tool kit, mats grabbed from an office, gloves used from a warehouse and taped up tools.

However this looks like an install, i.e. planned. So cannot understand why he does not have more suitable gear. I know 120v - earth is easier to escape from BUT, i dont think thats his biggest risk. A direct short causing flash and flying molten metal would be my main concern.

He does not appear to have a tool kit for this type of work or PPE and he has had a belt a million times , lol

Way too many thing to list but the most interesting (to me) was he's actually previously suffered the effects of a flashover in his face, yet is working in a manner likely to have the same outcome.
He's also allowing himself to be distracted by the (untrained?) person with the camera and allowing them to be in a position at risk if it goes wrong.

Scary isn’t it. ? waiting for a response from our American friend @Megawatt
Kenny yes it’s scary and it looked an apartment complex he was working on and couldn’t turn off the power. New York does things there own way. As far as me yes I’ve done a lot of work on live equipment but I have all my PPE with a rubber mat, 11 cal flash suit, face shield, rubber gloves plus leather gloves to go over the rubber gloves. Since he was what appeared to be adding a panel I guess since I couldn’t hear no sound on the video. I agree that he was an idiot doing that work without the proper PPE and yes had something went wrong it would have as stated above blew up and shot molten copper at 700 miles an hour right in his face. I have went to a lot of manufacturing plants and give power point demonstrations for there maintenance people on the proper way of working on electrical and how important that putting on there PPE is. Again in New York I admit he got lucky this time but if he continues to work like that it will bite him in the ---. I don’t approve of what he did but one man is not a reflection on how we do work in America.

Kenny yes it’s scary and it looked an apartment complex he was working on and couldn’t turn off the power. New York does things there own way. As far as me yes I’ve done a lot of work on live equipment but I have all my PPE with a rubber mat, 11 cal flash suit, face shield, rubber gloves plus leather gloves to go over the rubber gloves. Since he was what appeared to be adding a panel I guess since I couldn’t hear no sound on the video. I agree that he was an idiot doing that work without the proper PPE and yes had something went wrong it would have as stated above blew up and shot molten copper at 700 miles an hour right in his face. I have went to a lot of manufacturing plants and give power point demonstrations for there maintenance people on the proper way of working on electrical and how important that putting on there PPE is. Again in New York I admit he got lucky this time but if he continues to work like that it will bite him in the ---. I don’t approve of what he did but one man is not a reflection on how we do work in America.

No of course not @Megawatt. I’ve seen
Some fantastic American installs. Especially steel conduit installs that could pass as Art. Hope your well ??

Reply to Thoughts? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock