Discuss Thread made for the snobby stuck up sparks on here in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

daiplayer

This thread is specifically made for the members on here that are only here to shoot down new guys, hurl snide abuse from afar , and basically dont want any new electricians in the world cos they think they are god gift.

Too many times have we seen new members abused and disheartened by these guys .

So heres a specific thread for you all to have a good moan .

lol, nah mate. just been through a few threads where new electricians only asking a few q's to learn or ask advice are shot down with abuse and laughter . so i made this thread so they can all gather to bitch and moan , lol

lol, nah mate. just been through a few threads where new electricians only asking a few q's to learn or ask advice are shot down with abuse and laughter . so i made this thread so they can all gather to bitch and moan , lol

I have never seen such an abusive forum.

I thought forums were a communication and support network, but some of the electricians here don't seem to get the concept of that and think they are the only ones entitled to use the phrase "electrician".

If I needed advice, this would be the last place I would ask.

Unfortunately daiplayer you'll find douchebags in every walk of life. Forums aren't exempt from douchebaggery :D

Live and let live I say and just ignore those who think they know everything, because in reality they know nothing. The day you stop asking questions is the day you stop learning and any decent spark will know that they will be learning from the day they pick up the trade until the day they give it up.

I have never seen such an abusive forum.

I thought forums were a communication and support network, but some of the electricians here don't seem to get the concept of that and think they are the only ones entitled to use the phrase "electrician".

If I needed advice, this would be the last place I would ask.

my point exactly mate. i actually know 6 boys from college who came on here to ask advice. and within days they never come on here again , due to abuse.

Unfortunately daiplayer you'll find douchebags in every walk of life. Forums aren't exempt from douchebaggery :D

Live and let live I say and just ignore those who think they know everything, because in reality they know nothing. The day you stop asking questions is the day you stop learning and any decent spark will know that they will be learning from the day they pick up the trade until the day they give it up.

Well said :-D

This thread is specifically made for the members on here that are only here to shoot down new guys, hurl snide abuse from afar , and basically dont want any new electricians in the world cos they think they are god gift.

Too many times have we seen new members abused and disheartened by these guys .

So heres a specific thread for you all to have a good moan .

time of the month ?

I do think some of the abuse as you call it is actually more shock and concern about the basic questions that are asked. If someone comes on here and has been charging a customer to carry out work on their house finds the incoming earth to be inadequate/non existant or some other potentially dangerous fault and asks on here at night what they should do about it I think others have a right to be concerned. We never stop learning and I think we all know that but if you are going to go out there and set up your own business after minimal training you need to be able to identify what is dangerous and how to deal with it. Forums are useful but are not a substitute for proper training and experience.
This is not meant to be elitist or snobby in any way.

Mate i qualified in January, ive asked questions on here and had exactly the same been shot down hurled abuse at luckily im quite witty the last one some guy went of on one about Electrical Trainee, i shut him up wen i said id done a 4 yr apprenticeship been laid of twice, took 2 pay cuts to get were i am with full qualifications - Was fun =] Like i say im 22.. I know myself ive got a HELL OF ALOT still to learn so yeh when i come on here and ask questions as stupid as they may be sometime its just the reassuring that i need to make sure i do everything to the book.. Meaning my work gonna be safer etc! Sometimes i have blonde moments were i dont fully think. Had a good response with the last one were i was like I dunno what current the heaters draw.. Someone NICELY said clamp it.. When i think about it i knew that just didnt think..! He cuda hurled abuse but instead was gentle so its not all as bad as your making out there is still good people here who have helped me a hell of alot!

Dont get too disheartened to ask questions still just fire back at the abuse with witty cleaver comments that these "Super Sparks" are too thick to understand =]

oh god no , i wont stop asking q's . as its been said you never stop learning. and it must be mentioned that a lot of members on here have helped me out no end. thankyou to them ! :)

Sometimes folks come onto the forum with a less than ideal attitude, some come on to get their homework done for them (we should have a section for this!) and sometimes guys who describe themselves as electricians ask worryingly basic questions, but such is life.

If I don't like the attitude, think a post is a waste of time etc, I just don't respond; others feel the need to issue grief/sarcasm etc. Can't say I like that approach either, but within reason, I guess that's for individuals to choose.

I think there are some incredibly well informed guys on here covering the regs, good practice, workarounds, and for me the forum is a great source of all those skills. As D Skelton says, in this trade you must keep learning. But I do think some of the replies some posters get are OTT - just my view; others will have their own.

Regards.

If you think a poster is out of order, report it, if these posts go unreported the posters will never get reprimanded and will never change their way.
The report post button is there for a reason, to use it when necessary.

and basically dont want any new electricians in the world

Far from it, ...we want to see newly qualified electricians coming into the industry. Fully trained and experienced electricians that can move around within the industry as a whole. What we don't want to see is under trained inexperienced 17 day/electrical trainee's wanna-be electricians, being labelled as competent by cash hungry Scam Providers.

Now if you can see any good coming from this present situation, please enlighten us all??

I don't think i have shot any new member down, without good reason. Most of the time, i read the post and move on!! I do on occasion make it known that they are not fully trained/qualified and certainly not competent to go into peoples homes to undertake electrical work. I'll make no apologies here for that.

You can label me with whatever title you wish, it will make not a jot of difference to my position on fast track training that offers this industry absolutely nothing but irreversible damage!!!

Far from it, ...we want to see newly qualified electricians coming into the industry. Fully trained and experienced electricians that can move around within the industry as a whole. What we don't want to see is under trained inexperienced 17 day/electrical trainee's wanna-be electricians, being labelled as competent by cash hungry Scam Providers.

Now if you can see any good coming from this present situation, please enlighten us all??

I don't think i have shot any new member down, without good reason. Most of the time, i read the post and move on!! I do on occasion make it known that they are not fully trained/qualified and certainly not competent to go into peoples homes to undertake electrical work. I'll make no apologies here for that.

You can label me with whatever title you wish, it will make not a jot of difference to my position on fast track training that offers this industry absolutely nothing but irreversible damage!!!

so its the training providers and 'competent person schemes fault ', not the learner /member

There is a vast difference between informing someone of how underqualified they are to complete a certain task and abusing them though.

I totally agree with what you say Eng, however if I am ever to engage in a conversation with a Electrical Trainee who is in over his head, I will still always try to be as constructive as possible in any reply. We all have to start somewhere but what makes a good spark is knowing your limits, even if getting to know your limits comes from a little gentle persuasion from experienced sparks :D

I don't know about you guys, I need a bit of verbal abuse first thing in the morning to make my day :44:
The sooner someone gets used to it the better. It is a harsh world.

If you think a poster is out of order, report it, if these posts go unreported the posters will never get reprimanded and will never change their way.
The report post button is there for a reason, to use it when necessary.

Good point, well made Mark. I wonder if under reporting is due to the fact that the 'Report Post button' doesn't have a legend identifying it and many casual forum users are unaware of it's existence.

Reply to Thread made for the snobby stuck up sparks on here in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net