Discuss Three different meters in one commercial unit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

millwall ken

Hi all,
I could really do with some advice here fellas. Right, where I work (Multi-story shopping centre), the Builders have converted three of the units into a single unit.
Now, the problem... There are still three different electric meters and supplies for the now one unit! That means there are three different rings in the unit coming off of three seperate 100A CCUs. Now surely this is well wrong as potentially you could have a problem of going across 400v!!!
I believe that each unit's CCU is fed from a different phase - as this would make sense anyway, for load balancing. The socket faces of all of the different sockets outlets are just standard two gang and are not RCD protected sockets. There are NO warning labels that there are duel supplies in the unit either.
Now I don't have the BRB to hand but surely this ain't right? Any help regarding the regs on this would be great - Especially Reg Nos.
Thanks guys in advance.

Reg 514.15.1 (page 94 brb)

Where an installation includes a dual supply must have warning notices at

1. Origin of the installation

2. At the meter

3. The cu or db (if a generator is used)

4. At all points of isolation of both supplies.

Hope that helps mate.

Also 514.1.2

Wiring shall be so arranged or marked that it can be identified inspection, testing, repair or alteration of the installation.

Reg 514.15.1 (page 94 brb)

Where an installation includes a dual supply must have warning notices at

1. Origin of the installation

2. At the meter

3. The cu or db (if a generator is used)

4. At all points of isolation of both supplies.

Hope that helps mate.

Cheers for that Paul, so is what they've done okay with the exception of the notices that they haven't placed - which I had noted already?

I would look at it as if you've just installed a 3 phase supply and circuits to this unit. I'm still looking in the brb for a more definitive answer.

Last edited:
I can't see anything wrong with it. The thing that I'm thinking of is does it need a pir? I would say yes after large building works like that. Also change of use, its still a unit for the same use just now bigger.

Ken I thought you were on site without an OSG and after reg numbers for labels. Sorry mate, who am I to tell you how to suck eggs.

What am I saying, of course it needs a pir after changing from 3 units on their own supply to 1 unit on a 3 phase. Just thought I'd say that before I get ripped to shreds.

Last edited:
Nah mate, just my own observations of the work that they are doing. I mentioned to my Manager, that I thought that it was wrong. Because some of the sockets are almost back to back where they have ripped the stud partioning down. So you've got one socket drop in PVC conduit on one circuit. And another from the next circuit (seperate ring and phase) about half a meter away.

I think thats where the labelling comes in Ken.....

400v between these outlets.

Im sure there will be lots of things to look into on such an installation.

Re-labelling the dis-boards will be a pain..

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think thats where the labelling comes in Ken.....

400v between these outlets.

Im sure there will be lots of things to look into on such an installation.

Re-labelling the dis-boards will be a pain..

Good luck.

Yes mate, 400v. Its a 3 phase board that supplies each of these 'Tenant's' 240v boards. And each of these 240v boards comes off of a different phase (presumably) from the 3 Phase board. So worse case scenario (I know), you could potentially get 400v. I though that you had to have a permanent barrier/obstacle between any two seperate rings?

Off the top of my head Ken, if you have 2 socket outlets on a wall (from 2 seperate phases) and they are less than 2m apart then that label '400v between outlets' is required.

Ill type the reg for you if you want, but im rather slow at typing.

This is the bit you want I think....

"....Means of access to all live parts of switchgear and other fixed live parts where different nominal voltages exsist shall be marked to indicate votages present."

Edit...nope...........SEE BELOW

Or this bit.........

Laugh.....

"Where terminals or other fixed live parts between which a nominal voltage exceeding 230vs exsists are housed in separate enclosures or items of equiptment which, although seperated, can be reached simultaneously by a person, a notice shall be secured in a postion such that anyone, before gaining access to such live parts, is warned of the max voltage which exsists between those parts."

Bingo, yeah its this bit.

Hope that helps.

No worries mate, ive just also noticed its on page 43 of the 'Electricians guide to the building regs', and page 37 of OSG.

All the best.

Reply to Three different meters in one commercial unit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net