Discuss three phase extension lead in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Guys

What cable would you guys use to make up a three phase extension lead for use with a jet washer? I was thinking SY cable but I can't earth the sheath in commando sockets. Someone suggested a heavy duty rubber type flex. What do you think?

The supply would be 32a per phase.

[h=2]The copper braid prevents earth leakage and offers mechanical protection.[/h]
what's that all about?

A load of carp Tel! Think it should say provides earth prot!

If the existing commando socket is only 4 pin could you replace with 5/6 pole changeover and add a 5/6 pin outlet in addition (with only one use able at a time). May have to pull in a CPC though.

Same as Steve I'd suggest a neoprene trailing cable such as HO7RNF but if you're using chemicals in the vicinity check for compatibility with neoprene first.

Guys

What cable would you guys use to make up a three phase extension lead for use with a jet washer? I was thinking SY cable but I can't earth the sheath in commando sockets. Someone suggested a heavy duty rubber type flex. What do you think?

The supply would be 32a per phase.

I use 5 core 4mm heavy duty rubber flex for all my 3 phase extension leads, the trade counter I get it from call it a different name, I can't quite remember, mrj? mjs?

3PNE trailing cables are commonly found in the entertainments and events industries - HO7RNF as others have said.

I use 5 core 4mm heavy duty rubber flex for all my 3 phase extension leads, the trade counter I get it from call it a different name, I can't quite remember, mrj? mjs?

You don't select cable size based on the size of the supply then? Surely that 4mm can't last very long with 125A flowing through it?

The cable you need is called Armaflex. The one I use is the clear that you can see the braiding through. I use it a lot and use the 5 core. Not sure what size it goes up to but 1.5 and 2.5 is easily available. Cost is not bad either. Just google it. I have not got the hang of uploading photos yet.

Clive.

Last edited:
The cable you need is called Armaflex. The one I use is the clear that you can see the braiding through. I use it a lot and use the 5 core. Not sure what size it goes up to but 1.5 and 2.5 is easily available. Cost is not bad either. Just google it. I have not got the hang of uploading photos yet.

Clive.

thats brading though, its a control cable not a power cable bassically your describing sy or sill flex

the braiding isnt upto snuff for an earth like a lot of people use it for

thats brading though, its a control cable not a power cable bassically your describing sy or sill flex

the braiding isnt upto snuff for an earth like a lot of people use it for
The cross sectional area of braiding is surprising large for multi core cables. Hence it's CCC is larger than you'd think! If the manuf states it's use able for a particular task, then it is. Braiding of equiv 2.5mm of cross sectional area will handle 30A and it doesn't take much braiding to get to that equiv cross section.

Reply to three phase extension lead in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net