Discuss three phase industrial washing machine off ship in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

thekingiam

Customer has two industrial washing machines three phase he wants to install in hotel faceplate indicates three phase 60hz supply needed. Says they came off a ship. Would our 50 hz supply work they are roughly 16 and 18 kamps each.

Too many things to question here regarding controls etc its not a straight yeah or neigh, have you any more info?

Incorrect frequency can cause many issues to incorrect motor speed to timer problems + I like to see the supply needed for an 18,000amp washing machine!

Beat me to it DW 16KA!!!

If they’re American you could run in to major problems with voltage. The septic’s have some bad habits with control wiring.

Give what information you can.

If they came off the titanic, they,re probably knackered

50Hz to 60Hz / 60Hz to 50Hz Frequency Converters | Power Systems International

Here's a random link, don't expect it to be cheap as that's what they get buying things without researching properly .... hope they have a platinum card ready ;)

Personally I could do it alot cheaper by fitting a small frequency converter for the electronics side and swapping the motors, solenoids etc for 50hz versions but again if motor is speed controlled it starts getting costly..... a bad investment all round IMHO unless the set-up is simplistic and easy to convert although by the nature of its previous use it will be expensive.

Contact electrolux they may have conversion kits or even advice you in other ways, they design for many world markets so the best ones to talk to.

Last edited:
50Hz to 60Hz / 60Hz to 50Hz Frequency Converters | Power Systems International

Here's a random link, don't expect it to be cheap as that's what they get buying things without researching properly .... hope they have a platinum card ready ;)

Personally I could do it alot cheaper by fitting a small frequency converter for the electronics side and swapping the motors, solenoids etc for 50hz versions but again if motor is speed controlled it starts getting costly..... a bad investment all round IMHO unless the set-up is simplistic and easy to convert although by the nature of its previous use it will be expensive.

Contact electrolux they may have conversion kits or even advice you in other ways, they design for many world markets so the best ones to talk to.

Good advice, as ever.
I'd be less concerned about the electronics than the motors and transformers.

Good advice, as ever.
I'd be less concerned about the electronics than the motors and transformers.
Not knowing the set-up of the electronics I'm just playing safe, I use frequency converters often in my job and although a different set-up it don't half mess up things when these unit fail or you drop outside their sampling rates, as mentioned ealier if the timing functioned use base frequency as a reference then cycles may run at 20% shorter durations and soiled clothing could be an issue.

Thanks button not on phone so thanks.they have two by different makes and i aint fiddling around inside as they dont want to pay going rate for my work.will pass on info and get them to do donkey work..

Bad investment, these units are nearly 10 years old, spending any serious money on them now just to get them working is taking even more of a risk. Tell your man to cut his losses now, rather than down the line when his losses could well be more than 2 brand new 9/10Kg washing machines..

Reply to three phase industrial washing machine off ship in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net