Discuss Three phase meter on one phase supply? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

rapido

Hi there,

I was thinking of arranging to put a meter for a tenant's building, and since I had a meter lying around, I was thinking of installing it myself.

However to my disappointment, it appears to be a three phase meter (red, yellow, blue, black wires) and the supply is single phase (red, black).

Is there any possibility to successfully use the meter on the supply, or is it time to buy a single phase meter?

Many thanks in advance,

-regards,
rapido

Why would you want to change the meter?

Hi there,

Currently there isn't a meter installed, thus currently a proportion of the total is paid, which is an unsatisfactory solution as it is open to dispute.

-regards
rapido

Would it not be down to the energy supplier to install meters.

Hi there,

many thanks for your reply.

As far as I know, the electricity board cannot install another meter after their own meter, and I must arrange such things myself.

And even if they could, it would surely be cheaper to install it myself (especially if the meter I have is useable with the single phase supply).

-regards
rapido

Just wondering if anyone else had an idea if a 3 phase meter can be used on a 1 phase supply?

-rapido

Are you competent to do this? Doesn't sound like it.....you will be breaking the law if you install without competency.....and who is going to test and certify the install.....and did you mention a tenant?

Modern three phase meters will work on single phase. You may see diagrams on the meter that show this. You use one phase in and out 1,2 and the neutral 7,8.

most of the newer 5 terminal meters can be used on single phase, just blank of the unused ways - not sure about older types though but it wont do any harm to try it - providing your competent to do so

One down side I can see considering your tenant disputes the cost sharing method. If you use a second hand meter you happen to have kicking around it’s not certified as calibrated. Go for a reconditioned calibrated meter. Then there’s no arguments.

Just wait till the first estimated bill comes in, that should add to the fun and games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Three phase meter on one phase supply? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock