Discuss Three Phase overhead supply is it TN C in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
While carrying out a EICR I found on first inspection that there were no RCDs installed . When I checked at the Pole Mounted Transformer the Earth & Neutral were connected at the Neutral point. So am I right in concluding it's a TN-C System? The 17th Edition states that RCDs should not be installed where a TN C System is used (411.4.4)

I will take a pic tomorrow,but it looks like the Earth and Neutral are connected at the transfer. The reason I am suspecting is a TN-C is the lack of RCD protection on the Ring main final circuits. If it was a TT it would be protected with RCD at the mains

Yes, or any final circuit in the building, by the way it feeds a hotel. The overhead feed is by way of bundle conductors (4) sorry that's a South African term. I don't know what you call them here?

Eh?
The 17th Edition states that RCDs should not be installed where a TN C System is used 411.4.4

The following types of protective device may be used for fault protection:
(i) An overcurrent protective device
(ii) An RCD.

It'll be a PME supply. Concentric cable split at the installation intake, to N & E.

Eh?
The 17th Edition states that RCDs should not be installed where a TN C System is used 411.4.4

The following types of protective device may be used for fault protection:
(i) An overcurrent protective device
(ii) An RCD.

It'll be a PME supply. Concentric cable split at the installation intake, to N & E.

Read on a couple of lines after Note 1
"An RCD Shat be used in a TN-C system"

That'll be 414.4.5 for no RCD on TN-C?

I think you might be getting confused here chief, TNC is NOT allowed within an installation. TNC/PME supply, then the Earth is split off at the intake.
Thanks, I will take a closer look at the intake, I just don't understand why there are no RCDs on the final ring circuits this hotel has 6 DBs

My house has a two wire supply coming in along the outside wall, it was clearly a TT in the past but has been converted to TNC even though the supply is via 2 individual separate single cores.
The DNO risk access any existing TT before conversion I am led to believe, I see no reason why your install won't have been converted at some point even an overhead supply.

You probably have TN-C external to the building then the PEN conductor is separated at the service head which gives the S on TN-C-S.

Reply to Three Phase overhead supply is it TN C in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock