Discuss Three phases main supply in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It doesn't ALWAYS have to be like that.
They could all be brown, but marked up as L1, L2, L3

If you're referring to how a 3 core cable connects to one of the old colours, then yes... its
L1 - Red - Brown
L2 - Yellow - Black
L3 - Blue - Grey

Black and grey sleeved with brown to denote line conductors

I know that the technically it doesn't matter. But if you have lots of motors in your company you have to keep it eye on it.

I wanna know clearly what regulations talking about it.

Last edited:
There is a requirement to ensure correct phase rotation throughout an Installation in Chapter 6.
I think it’s a bit pointless, as when you connect 3 phase machinery, if it runs backwards, you just swap one of the phases over.

There is a requirement to ensure correct phase rotation throughout an Installation in Chapter 6.
I think it’s a bit pointless, as when you connect 3 phase machinery, if it runs backwards, you just swap one of the phases over.

Reminds me of a huge job on RAF Leuchars where every mains cable was replaced. 185mm armoured cables.... turned it on and EVERY motor was running backwards.
Not my fault, BTW... I was just there pulling cables into trenches

Agree but you can do that at the machine can't you? thus not altering the phase sequence at the incoming supply to the machine switchgear.

Agree but you can do that at the machine can't you? thus not altering the phase sequence at the incoming supply to the machine switchgear.
Yes you can do that at the machine.
But what’s the point in ensuring phase rotation is consistent throughout an installation?

You have an installation where phase rotation has been checked throughout.
You install a new machine, it runs backwards.
You swap the phases round in the machine, it runs forwards.

You have an installation where phase rotation has not been checked throughout.
You swap the phase round in the machine, it runs forwards.

What’s the difference?

But what’s the point in ensuring phase rotation is consistent throughout an installation?

What’s the difference?
I was trying to make the point that the phase sequence wouldn't change at the point of connection to the equipment from the supply, if you wanted to keep the sequence the same throughout, that's all.

If you're referring to how a 3 core cable connects to one of the old colours, then yes... its
L1 - Red - Brown
L2 - Yellow - Black
L3 - Blue - Grey

Black and grey sleeved with brown to denote line conductors
i'd never sleeve black and grey with brown on a 3 phase installation. we never sleeved the yellow and blue. only brown sleeve when used in single phase circuit/s.

The requirement is to ensure phase sequence rather than rotation. This means that you need to ensure the none of the phases get swapped around, so L1 at the intake is connected to L1 everywhere. If this is not ensured then you could have L1 in two different parts of the installation with 400V volts between them when there should be 0V.

Also makes balancing a head scratcher if the phases keep moving around from Db to Db. I try and keep L1, L2 and L3 consistent from MDB to Dbs. I have had one install where rotation was backwards from the service intake.... did grumble a bit on that one.
I also never sleeve brown on black and grey, very confusing when i came across one that had been done that way, ended up cutting the sleeves off for the same reason tel said.

What’s the difference?
When I was in the RAF we had a hangar with 6 separate bays where we moved 3 phase machines with 125A plugs around depending on aircraft requirements. Bay 2 (I can even picture it right now) was wired the wrong way round meaning that every time a machine went in or out of there one of us had to swap the phases round. Our contractors were like you and couldn’t see the problem. Hours of work over years due to incompetence on the part of the original inspector that signed it off.

When I was in the RAF we had a hangar with 6 separate bays where we moved 3 phase machines with 125A plugs around depending on aircraft requirements. Bay 2 (I can even picture it right now) was wired the wrong way round meaning that every time a machine went in or out of there one of us had to swap the phases round. Our contractors were like you and couldn’t see the problem. Hours of work over years due to incompetence on the part of the original inspector that signed it off.
That’s probably a scenario where checking the phase rotation would be a good idea.
How long did it take before you asked a Rock Ape to sort out the socket wiring?

If phase conductors are being used as single phase line conductors, then they should all be sleeved brown.

Yes, that's what I said, the black and grey should be sleeved brown if they are on the same phase as the brown, if they are on different phases they shoukd not be sleeved brown.

Reply to Three phases main supply in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock