Discuss Three switches controlling one light - Stumped? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

dboyung

DIY
Reaction score
I am having trouble getting all three switches wired appropriately to control the one light - We have one light switch at the bottom of the stairs and two in the hallway upstairs currently. Below is the amount of wires w/ colors coming out of each box:

Downstairs - one set of wires coming from box include 1 Black wire / 1 White Wire / 1 Red Wire / 1 Ground wire

Upstairs (4 way switch I believe) - Two sets of wires coming from box - each set has 1 white wire / 1 red wire / 1 black wire /1 ground wire (travelers)

Upstairs - three sets of wires into this box - One set going to light itself includes 1 white wire / 1 black wire / 1 ground wire
Second set of wires are travelers going to the other upstairs box - 1 red wire / 1 black wire / 1 white wire / 1 ground
Third set of wires are bring in power - 1 black wire(hot wire) / 1 white wire / 1 ground

I verified that the only power source is located at the upstairs outlet only and that the travelers are going from the upstairs box with power to the other upstairs box and then the last set of wires (red,black,white) are going down to the downstairs box.

Do I need to use a three way switch where the power comes in, a four way where the travelers meet upstairs and another three way downstairs? If so how can I wire these so they all work no matter which switch is utilized?

Thanks - what is stumping me is that the the lights themselves are flowing off the same 3 way switch as the the one that is getting power from the source. So it would take those lights above and move them over the to the switch on the right. This also then leaves a single white wire on the 3 way switch( I don't know if that is a problem or not).

Reply to Three switches controlling one light - Stumped? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock