Discuss Three way light switch does not work correctly in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

stew24

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

A few years ago I had my house rewired before putting up new drywall. I had a three way installed to control the lights in our mudroom, one at the exterior door and one in the kitchen. This is currently not working correctly and I am trying to understand why.

The wall box at the exterior door contains the three way switch for mudroom lighting, a three way switch for garage light, and a single switch for a light directly outside the door. The wall box in the kitchen contains the other three way switch for the mudroom, a three way switch for the kitchen itself and a single switch for the kitchen. When drywall went up and the electrician connected everything the mudroom lights worked from both switches, but my exterior light had no power to it. I had the electrician come back and he took power from somewhere in the box next to the exterior door to get the exterior light working, but now the mudroom light switch does not work here and is only useable from the kitchen. I also have a white and black wire coming into the box at the exterior door that test positive for continuity but are not connected to anything within the box.

I have reached out to the electrician who did the work but have not received a response. Any advice on what may be the problem would be appreciated and thank you.

Hello,

A few years ago I had my house rewired before putting up new drywall. I had a three way installed to control the lights in our mudroom, one at the exterior door and one in the kitchen. This is currently not working correctly and I am trying to understand why.

The wall box at the exterior door contains the three way switch for mudroom lighting, a three way switch for garage light, and a single switch for a light directly outside the door. The wall box in the kitchen contains the other three way switch for the mudroom, a three way switch for the kitchen itself and a single switch for the kitchen. When drywall went up and the electrician connected everything the mudroom lights worked from both switches, but my exterior light had no power to it. I had the electrician come back and he took power from somewhere in the box next to the exterior door to get the exterior light working, but now the mudroom light switch does not work here and is only useable from the kitchen. I also have a white and black wire coming into the box at the exterior door that test positive for continuity but are not connected to anything within the box.

I have reached out to the electrician who did the work but have not received a response. Any advice on what may be the problem would be appreciated and thank you.
I don’t think you should have paid him. If it was all working before your so called electrician came in, then it should be working when he left. You can always turn him into the NY board of examiners of electrical contractors or does he even have a license. Good luck

Reply to Three way light switch does not work correctly in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net