Discuss Through Crimp Tool in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Anything approaching 6mm and over I find cant be crimped using a ratchet tool, I use a hydraulic crimper, even on 2.5mm solid it gives a very good connection using inline crips, the one in the yellow box below.

Attachments

• Recents - 1 of 1 (1).jpeg
    390.7 KB · Views: 14
Anything approaching 6mm and over I find cant be crimped using a ratchet tool, I use a hydraulic crimper, even on 2.5mm solid it gives a very good connection using inline crips, the one in the yellow box below.
What make/model is that? The link earlier is for a "Vinteky Hydraulic Crimper Tool Kit" which looks very similar, but only claims to go down to 4mm

What make/model is that? The link earlier is for a "Vinteky Hydraulic Crimper Tool Kit" which looks very similar, but only claims to go down to 4mm
I've the same hydraulic set and do the same. I use handheld CK's for >4mm, ratchet CK's for 6-10-16 and then go hydraulic after - you just need that third hand, though!!

The yellow box helpfully says "Tools" on the outside the tool itself says "Yok70", and indeed it only has a 4mm crimp as its minimum, but that is the mandrel size not the cable, as Rockingit says because the hydraulic stroke is short, it requires a number of movements of the handle to operate, not having a spring return you need two hands to operate it and another to hold whatever you are crimping, I did find with use I could operate it with one hand, but it is awkward.

I have seen one somewhere, but discounted it as if I remember it was over £500.00 will see if I can find the link.

And the dies are extra at just under £100.00

I have seen a video where an American DNO guy (different name for DNO though) used a battery crimper on the incoming overhead "tails". Looked a smart thing to have, but as @Mike Johnson has just posted costs in the £2k+ region!

That sparky had a standard (non insulated) tool, but wore insulating gloves all of the time to compensate as he crimped the supply cables live.

Reply to Through Crimp Tool in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net