Discuss Time clock stopped working in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

any ideas chaps? Got the time clock below, was working fine 12 months ago before works started, just gone to power up and am getting no voltage on the output, wound it up etc...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 156
Nice one darkwood. I'll stick some pics up later of the board now it's complete, I've misplaced the sticker sheet somewhere so can't do the circuit labelling today.

I think im being a spanner,

I have a wylex MESB-63NO contactor ok...
See link: Wylex MESB-63NO 4 Pole NO Contactor 63 Amp

and I "presumed" that it was a Line and Neutral on the fly leads from the time switch....

Some 20 year old from eOn arrived, had no idea, checking for a dead with a volt pen... and a death pen thing you put you finger on, saying is it off now? I was embarrassed for him. He said you always switch the neutral, you dont switch live... ok?

Anyway, he said that both fly leads from the contactor are neutral.

Can someone tell me how I get power to my contactor as I am now confused...

This is how I have it wired at present and it doesnt work..

DSC06445.jpgDSC06444.jpgDSC06461.jpg

Just so you get it, the bottom of the time switch, there are 4 cables going into it, the middle two are Line and Neutral (so cable 2 and 3 from left) ok. The switch works fine, turns and works as you would expect.

The one on the left, I presumed was switched Line from the drawing in the back and the one on the right was neutral, but now I see having experimented that the two outer ones have continuity when the clock is in "ON" mode for power to the house, not OFF.

I just assumed that the right hand small one was Neutral, hence taking one from each to the contactor to A1 for Line and A2 for neutral.

Can someone with a better understanding of this explain to me how I connect both of these wires to the contactor and a neutral (I can pick a neutral up easy, thats not a problem, just dont get what the other two do.)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Am I being thick? Ill be back in a bit if I dont reply, got to check the baby out as its not kicking so much the mrs says so got to pop to the hospital (its due in 3 weeks)

There will be a wiring diagram moulded into the inside if the terminal cover of the timeswitch.

Why were EON involved? If it's their timeswitch then I'm sure you wouldn't have been taking it to bits. And if it's not theirs then?

Why on earth would someone create another forum? What a crazy idea ;) imagine that, an other forum, a place where diyers are politely asked to leave and some grumpy git guards the gates to keep the riff raff out!
Wouldn't that be nice.

Yeah, I connected them both to A1 and A2, when I should have connected one of them to L1 supply to top of Contactor and the other to A1 and then took a neutral to A2.

i knew I'd work it out, I feel like such a dim wit now, it was so obvious, naturally I would have thought it was a neutral and a switched live out of the time switch but evidently not!

Awful, cheeky sod, I cut a slot in the bottom plate of the board, put a rubber edge to it, then fixed some 5mm paxolin to the inside and drilled 4 small holes in it just big enough to get each 25mm tail through, it needs to be though one non metallic hole to avoid Eddie currents... Hence the paxolin. I think it looks smart, the inside is Megger tidy.

Reply to Time clock stopped working in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net