Discuss time delay RCD in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys, Got a TT system. Do I need to install a time delay RCD on an old Wylex board that is supplying off-peak night storage heaters. The unrestricted board has been changed to 17th last year but the restricted board has not been changed.
Cheers. The external Ze is very good at 0.18.

I think e54 installed that earth pit. If it is tt, it should have one too cover both boards, don't need two. On the incoming tails before wiggles off in all directions..

even by flying eng54 all the way from china to install a TT earthing system, i'd be amazed at that Ze. must have a rod down to Oz to get 0.18.

The TT system, if that's what you've got, doesn't require a RCD as long as the disconnection times can be met, 41.1, then 411.5.2 can be considered as sufficient.

As for E54 flying over to inspect a pit, he'll probably condemn it for using a twigg - lol

That's why I'm going out to check it later this week. One of our other sparks did an EICR on it last week, gave me the cert to sign off, as QS, and I refused. He wondered why! Also noticed other discrepancies like 2.5 lives and 2.5 cpc with him specifying PVC/PVC type used. Challenged, it now appears type C.

I just thought as might not be stable , just use rcd even 30mA on the board without. But I ain't a electrical legend yet , just a chancer.

I just thought as might not be stable , just use rcd even 30mA on the board without. But I ain't a electrical legend yet , just a chancer.

I am with you 100 % . It may be a first class Ra at the moment but no matter how deep you go , unforeseen external circumstances may change this far before its next inspection ( Unlikely , but not impossible ) ! I am not advocating the reliance of an rcd , but for TT systems it just makes sense to have as a added security !

there's no way he's got a Ze of 0.18 on a TT system. someone's telling porkies.either that or his pi$$ is marketable.

I am with you 100 % . It may be a first class Ra at the moment but no matter how deep you go , unforeseen external circumstances may change this far before its next inspection ( Unlikely , but not impossible ) ! I am not advocating the reliance of an rcd , but for TT systems it just makes sense to have as a added security !

I can't understand why people do not believe what's written in BS7671. If its a TT system with a Ze of 0.18 Ohms after the MPB have been disconnected then 411.5.2 (ii) is sufficient. We used to work to that all the time 20 odd years ago.

However, I've never seen a TT system as low as that. Maybe 0.5 - 1.5 Ohms.

there's no way he's got a Ze of 0.18 on a TT system. someone's telling porkies.either that or his pi$$ is marketable.

It is possible , I have personally seen it on an ex military site that we look after and is now a farm . I can not remember the exact Ra now as it was a few years ago , but I have posted about it before ( I can only go back as far as the date of my user name change , for some reason ) in a post about a 100 Ma time delayed RCD going out before the 30Ma RCD down stream , and it was because of the exceptionally low Ra at source .

I can't understand why people do not believe what's written in BS7671. If its a TT system with a Ze of 0.18 Ohms after the MPB have been disconnected then 411.5.2 (ii) is sufficient. We used to work to that all the time 20 odd years ago.

However, I've never seen a TT system as low as that. Maybe 0.5 - 1.5 Ohms.

Maybe so , but for the price of them I would rather err on the side of caution and have it as a secondary safety net anyway . No matter what others will no doubt preach , I have seen more than enough Ra's rise and fall , ( Not just the twigs ) far more than I would like to see .

I agree with all here, that an Ra of 0.18 ohm on a typical domestic TT system is going to be extremely hard to believe!! lol!! You'd have to be driving a deep rod into a salt marsh to stand any chance of seeing that sort of value!!

As for the Very low Ra on an ex military site, that i can believe, there are probably multiple linked deep driven rod positions around the site, or a full dedicated earth field in place...

On the majority of standard domestic, small/medium commercial systems it is Always prudent to provide the extra back-up protection of an up-front 100/300mA S type RCD device. No-way would i rely on a single RCD device as my sole means of earth fault protection. They are just not that reliable!!

Reply to time delay RCD in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock