Discuss Time delay switch for a 2/3kw heater? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Ste G

I'm looking to install an infrared 2 or 3 kw heater in the garden and I've found a couple of switches for it but they're only rated at 1.5kw, here's the sort of switch I want: DS1 electronic time delay switch, two wire [DS1] : Sparks Direct, Lighting and Electrical Wholesaler

I've been advised to use a contactor before wiring to the switch and then from the switch to an outdoor socket to which the heater will be plugged into. Is this right? if so could anyone advise what sort of contactor and switch to use, and anything else I might need or another way to do it. Thanks

A contactor (or relay) would work. The switch operates the contactor and the contactor switches power to the heater. It would be simpler if you can locate the contactor close to the delay switch or even in the same box, then you would just need 1 cable bringing power into the box and 1 cable for supply out to the heater.

Scratch my suggestion then. If there's a 16A delay timer available off the shelf it makes life much simpler.

Cheers guys, all it is with the socket is that i might want to re-position the heater if I feel I could get more heat or efficiency from it from another position. I could use a fused spur but just means having to disconnect it all if I decide to move it.

How would I go about adding another heater if decide to have 2? thanks again

I'm looking to install an infrared 2 or 3 kw heater in the garden and I've found a couple of switches for it but they're only rated at 1.5kw, here's the sort of switch I want: DS1 electronic time delay switch, two wire [DS1] : Sparks Direct, Lighting and Electrical Wholesaler

I've been advised to use a contactor before wiring to the switch and then from the switch to an outdoor socket to which the heater will be plugged into. Is this right? if so could anyone advise what sort of contactor and switch to use, and anything else I might need or another way to do it. Thanks

This was your original design

DS1 Electronic Time Delay Switch (2 Wire)
Single gang push button delay switch with centre button neon.
The "Light ON" times are adjustable from 10 seconds to 10 minutes approx. via a tamperproof potentiometer setting.

Apart from the fact to get any sort of benefit from an outdoor heater you literally have to huddle around it why are you going to install something that will give you just 10 minutes of heat. Get a couple of cheap BBQ stands and put charcoal in them and burn those be cheaper.

Ahhhhhhhhh so the HSE might frown upon my BBQ heating suggestion then. To be honest whichever road you go down it really is P**ing in the wind with these heaters.

As this would be a public area I would not want to fit anything that had a grill on it, even if it is at a high level, drink and sense are not things that go together. I would go for something like these

Electric Infrared Heaters | Infrared Portable Heater

Alright guys, got this all wired up but I'm a bit unsure as to what size RCBO to use. The problem is is I might want 2 heaters up so obviously the current will potentially be doubled. Working out the design current for one heater (1.3kw) equates to 5.7a so a 10a rcbo would be used (type c)

If I want to add another heater obviously I'll need a 16a RCBO but is the safety of the circuit compromised if I use a 16a one with 1 heater?

I'm having a bit of trouble finding the correct RCBO for the board as well, it's square D domae board (old style I believe) and I need a type C breaker as instructed by the heater spec. Here's a picture of the board if anyone can point me in the direction of a supplier of these:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Thanks

Well as the protection device is for the cable and not the appliance it is the cable calc that will decide your protection device. So will the cable installed be suitable with a 16amp protectio device?

Not 100% sure but you may find Merin Gerin breakers that will fit this. I haven't got the spec but you can check

I used 2.5mm and taken into account volt drop so that's fine but just a bit unsure whether a 16a might be a bit overkill. I can find a 16a type B RCBO will that be alright do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to admit I'm amazed that the manufater insisting on a type C breaker, unless they expect larger inrush currents on the heater. Give their Tech people a call and see if you can use a B type. Chances are your just going to get someone that will read the installation manual like you, espcially if they are made in the far east

Yeah, never done heaters before so it's all a bit new to me to be honest so just wanted a second opinion. Cheers for the help buddy.

Reply to Time delay switch for a 2/3kw heater? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net