Discuss Time for a new R2 lead in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mike Johnson

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
It's time for a new Wander lead, fed up with the reel falling over as soon as you pull a bit on the lead, I am leaning towards one of the box type, do any of you chaps have a suggested best buy? also do the box type reel out easily enough to just put them on the ground and pull the lead, I know it's not best practice, but then lots of the things we do aren't.

Mike

I am going to put an aside on here...been missing my wander lead for some time, assumed I had left it somewhere. Went to visit my sister in law at her caravan, I said what the f is that doing there?!! She said that? That's my washing line! I said no it's about 80 quid worth of test equipment she said no no it's definitely a washing line. Anyway upshot is I now have a wander lead (Megger) with the female end cut off to allow it to be more easily tied in a knot when using as a washing line ?

Last edited:
I think i like your sister....i reckon it might not be any good as a wander lead,anymore,due to the high resistance she put up,on it's return... ;)

Seriously though, anyone any thoughts on the original post, or put it another way, what is the most durable cable drum supplied as a Wander lead? are some of them really worth £80.00, please don't even suggest making my own, went down that route previously and it did not end well.

Get the longest one you can, it is money well spent it will last for ever so long as you don't leave it somewhere or have your sister in law use as a washing line. Would recommend a 40+ meter lead and up until it had the end cut off the Megger one I had was pretty good. I'm going to make a new end on mine for what it's worth?

looking at a lot of the branded ones, the actual plastic body is in many cases identical so i suspect they are made in some factgory and just badged accordingly. that said i have a kewtech one, 50m and does alright.
If you have the time and patience, get yourself a cable reel and make your own
then some cable and get the adaptors for the cable at each end off flea bay and you are good to go. will have change out of £40 i reckon.

Looking at the reel you posted a link too, it's for a mains cable of 25M length, so I assume that a single core cable of possibly close to 50M would fit on it, may well have to investigate that course of action.
[automerge]1573089003[/automerge]
Looking at the proprietary wander leads none of them give the gauge/mm2 of the wire or if it's silicone or even double insulated, very sparse information available on these things, then looking at the cost of silicone wire alone makes me think none of them come with this as an option.

Last edited:
I got this one Kewtech ACC50MTL Test Leads - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/kewtech-acc50mtl-test-leads/78937?tc=NT7&ds_kid=92700022888078738&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5qretbzX5QIVQpnVCh2leQXdEAQYASABEgLrnfD_BwE
stood the test of time. I was always a bit anxious when I ran it through outside open doors, in case the wind or some shut it on the lead.

I got this one Kewtech ACC50MTL Test Leads - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/kewtech-acc50mtl-test-leads/78937?tc=NT7&ds_kid=92700022888078738&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5qretbzX5QIVQpnVCh2leQXdEAQYASABEgLrnfD_BwE
stood the test of time. I was always a bit anxious when I ran it through outside open doors, in case the wind or some shut it on the lead.

Cricky that's expensive from Screwfix, seen it much cheaper elsewhere, despite what I have previously said, I think I am going the home made route as I don't think I will have a lot of use for it after I sell my hovel in France.

Cricky that's expensive from Screwfix, seen it much cheaper elsewhere, despite what I have previously said, I think I am going the home made route as I don't think I will have a lot of use for it after I sell my hovel in France.
I didn’t get mine from Screwfix, and can’t remember how much I paid, but it wasn’t cheap. Nice and easy to unroll and roll back up. Couldn’t be bothered to make one up.

I didn’t get mine from Screwfix, and can’t remember how much I paid, but it wasn’t cheap. Nice and easy to unroll and roll back up. Couldn’t be bothered to make one up.

What sort of cable is on the drum, is it silicone or just normal PVC covered multi core or even single core if you can tell, one of the other contributors had the unfortunate experience of his sister in law cutting the plug off, perhaps he can give an insight into what type of core the lead has?

What sort of cable is on the drum, is it silicone or just normal PVC covered multi core or even single core if you can tell, one of the other contributors had the unfortunate experience of his sister in law cutting the plug off, perhaps he can give an insight into what type of core the lead has?

Sorry guys I meant "multi strand or even single strand" silly old duffer.

It says it's 50m of PVC double insulated cable.
[automerge]1573128457[/automerge]
Insulation Double sleeved PVC
Diameter of Cable 3.8 mm
Diameter of each strand 0.08 mm
Number of strands 176
Total cross section of conductor 0.878 mm2
Length 50 m
Nominal resistance per metre 0.02 Ω

Thanks David that's the information I needed, but could not find, perhaps I should change my last post to say "Semi blind old Duffer"

Just bought what looks like a Martindale R2 lead off e-bay for a remarkable £15.00 + £5.00 postage, sound too good to be true, will see soon I hope.

As I said above I have pushed the button on a second hand R2 Wander lead that looks like a Martindale, same embossed writing on the case and what looks like the same cable ends, I will have to wait until it arrives to verify whether it is a Martindale, but at £20.00 with postage not a lot to loose.

As I said above I have pushed the button on a second hand R2 Wander lead that looks like a Martindale, same embossed writing on the case and what looks like the same cable ends, I will have to wait until it arrives to verify whether it is a Martindale, but at £20.00 with postage not a lot to loose.

On the contrary, there is hopefully around 50m of it to loose. Just don't lose it!

Reply to Time for a new R2 lead in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net