Discuss Time is not of the essence help want to be a sparky help !!!!!! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Burney

hi all ive been a Mate for longer than i care to remember (11 years on and off) i used it to put me through college for computing courses and have basically did it all my life. I now have decided to knock the computing lark on the head and become a sparky. But time is not of the essence and i want to get qualified ASAP. whats the quickest way i can get amongst it. Is there any routes that are quicker than what my local college are offering me.

part 1 - 1 year
part 2 - 2year
part 3 - 1/2 year :(

i have a degree in enginerring but its multimedia based eg radio technology, computer networks etc etc do you reckon i could atleast jump in half way somewhere avodiding the level 1 course.

help me out guys im in bits need to be put n the know cheers.

sounds good. could i bag a jib card after going through this route or i will i be out cast for not doing the four year route :confused:

Hmmmm. Now your asking something.

I think you could.

Best bet, keep checking on here periodically, someone will give you a definite answer. Everyone at work at moment!

Hi there

Like Bane said you can go a quicker route but personally I cant recommend it, i have been a sparky for 12 years and spent 5 of them going to college and everyday I learn something new

And i'm fairly sure you cant get a JIB card with those qualifications

cheers monty

is that final answer then guys :( i got to do part 1,2,3 etc etc

You have to take your choice, at the end of the day if you feel after the shorter qualifications you have sufficient knowledge to go out and make a living then why not :).

On the other hand with all those years practical experience and obvious intelligence to gain a degree, with enthusiasm and hard work you could well be suitably competent after the short courses.

Just because you have been to college for years does'nt mean you have taken anything in ;).

If it's comercial/Industrial your after then yeah, 2330 is the way I think.

Domestic, then go for what we said. EAL etc

as bane and monty are saying ,for the JIB card or its proper title the ECS card(electricians grade) you need level 3 nvq

as bane and monty are saying ,for the JIB card or its proper title the ECS card(electricians grade) you need level 3 nvq

ok is there anywhere or any chance a college would take you on to do level 3 with the shorter intensive course under your belt??

i hope know one takes offense for my quickie approach i have utmost respect for those that have gone through the apprentice route (my father is one of them) or college off there own back, im just trying to change career and after spending 4 years at uni i need the transition to happen sooner rather than later cheers

I don't think most people on here give a ---- which route you take (I don't mean that in a bad way, more like they won't take offence).

It's a bit like PADI and BSAC (diving groups). WHo gives a ----? Get in the water and go!!!!

But, back to your question, I think you could take level 3 now with all your experience. Phone the college and ask them about this, I think they will offer you an onsite assessment on something familiar. Where someone comes out and (surprise,surprise) assesses you and your competence/ability/knowledge.

Phone the colege and ask and let us know.

Reply to Time is not of the essence help want to be a sparky help !!!!!! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock