Discuss time served and fed up :( in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

matt456

Hello everyone, im 28 years old and have done this since i left school, the day after in fact! 12.5 years behind me now and i have covered everything to do with electric that is readily available:
i.e.
Fire alarms
Access control
House bashing
Commercial
Industrial (majority)
IT / telecommunications
Motor control

i have continued with college and self funded various courses such as
2360 1 &2
16th edition
am 1 & 2
nvq 2 & 3
HNC electrical and electronic engineering
safety passport
etc etc

now i am looking form some sort of stimulation in the industry, i started out for a good all round firm, then after 10 years or so i left to make some money via an agency and worked away from home in london and earned some good cash. now im back home in yorkshire slugging it out and looking for inspiration as im totally fed up.

i find sub-contracting is a good life, if you dont mind being away from home.

meeting new people all the time, working in new environments and earning a lot more money

keeps me entertained :)

Nope if i get out of sparkying then im going to get out of construction altogether, i think its the industry more than the job now i have had a think about it.
This forum is great for morale boosting though thanks lads:)

I currently do subcontracting through an agency which is better, i dont mind working away from home for the right money but have drawn a blank at the moment on finding any shutdowns or anything like that. Need a compex maybe?

yeah, compex, sea survival and if you dont mind heights then a sea survival course

you're probably talking 250-500 a day then

no but a good friend of mine does. he did the courses and is knocking £2500 a week away in tunisia, five star hotel, food paid for, the works

work has been quiet my end lately (industrial) but as soon as i get some decent cash in the bank i'm signing straight up, doing domestic and commerical doesn't offer the same sort of income as sub-contracted work unfortunately.

took words out of my mouth.

Compex. Then look into rigs, petro-chem industry, gas...

New direction.

you've been in the game a while, you not thought about trying to get in to a few supervisory roles? take a new angle on the game

If you are looking for a new angle on the role and have learned everything there is about wiring (if at all possible - which I dont believe). I would recommend moving to the design and specification side of the work.

Sign up with a design firm or design and construction firm such as Atkins, Mott-macdonald, FaberMaunsell, Jacobs, White Young Green, Spencers (or go contract with them). You will then start using your on-site experience to specify and design complex jobs which may be more interesting, and would get involved in a whole new area.

If you want to change what projects you are involved in have you tried the railway industry. - Losts of electrical work there but with a different dimension and more to learn.

Reply to time served and fed up :( in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock