Discuss Time Switch Advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Time Switch Advice IMG_0271.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
Hi there

We live in a block of flats built sometime in the 60s, which is all electric and has a storage heater in the living room. As to be expected, our electricity bills are a lot higher than properties we've lived in previously which had gas central heating. The day, night and heat rates mean we are limited to Scottish Power, and I'm trying to understand the set up a little better to ensure we're not paying more than we should be.

Our meter is in the landing of the stairwell on our floor, and we have a Sangamo Weston Ltd Time Switch, Spring Reserve in a cupboard in the flat which I assume is responsible for switching between the day and night rate? I've never thought much about it before, apart from it ticks a lot, especially when it seems to change to the night rate in the late evening. I'm a complete novice with this and decided to have a closer look today and realised it seems to be missing it's face. From what I've seen online, this programs when the time should change I think. Should I be concerned about this? I'm worried about it possibly not functioning as it should without which might be contributing to our higher bills.

Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Please see the attached photos for an example.

Kind regards

Michael

Time Switch Advice IMG_0272.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

As it stands that time clock will not function without the clock face in place so at present it is either permanently on or permanently off.
It may no longer serve a purpose which would explain the missing parts.

As it stands that time clock will not function without the clock face in place so at present it is either permanently on or permanently off.
It may no longer serve a purpose which would explain the missing parts.

Ah, ok. Thank you. It does sound like it is doing something, but cant be sure if that's impacting upon the power we use. Can I ask if you think this is something I should raise with my landlord or my energy supplier? I think Scottish Power have been responsible for the energy here forever due to the type of meter we have.

Many thanks

Michael

I would expect that timer to be running some outside lights and has been frigged to be permanently on.
I doubt it has any impact on your power usage.

Edit, it appears to be in a sealed enclosure, what I have written above could well be both wrong and misleading.

If you post a clear head on picture of the time clock we can probably see if the contacts are open or closed through the small circular window.

that knob protruding at 2 o'clock is manual override. press it down and see if the timer changes state. the pointy bit at 8 o'clock is an activator to change state at a specified time. there should be 4 of them, 2 ON and 2 OFF. is clearly been botched up and as James says in post #4, it's probably nothing to do with your heating, but only aa site visit could confirm.

The bottom section of the adjacent consumer unit (grey thing) is switched off and there's an unused fuse on top.
I suspect the Storage heater had been replaced for a modern one with built in timer.

A picture of the storage heater would be useful.
And the Electric meter

Hi everyone

Thanks very much for the assistance with this so far. I'm attaching a clearer front view of the Time Switch, a couple of pictures of the outside meter and the storage heater - apologies as we have a guard obscuring the view a little as we have two very young children.

Time Switch Advice IMG_0294.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
Time Switch Advice IMG_0299.JPG - EletriciansForums.netTime Switch Advice IMG_0292.JPG - EletriciansForums.netTime Switch Advice IMG_0303.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
[automerge]1583415536[/automerge]
Hi again

I thought I'd attach a video if it also helps.

Thanks

Michael
View attachment IMG_0298.mov

If you post a clear head on picture of the time clock we can probably see if the contacts are open or closed through the small circular window.
Hi there

Thank you. Please find attached.

Kind regards

Michael
[automerge]1583751409[/automerge]
The bottom section of the adjacent consumer unit (grey thing) is switched off and there's an unused fuse on top.
I suspect the Storage heater had been replaced for a modern one with built in timer.

A picture of the storage heater would be useful.
And the Electric meter
Hi there

Thank you. Please find the images attached. Sorry about the guard in front of the heater, but we have young children.

Kind regards

Michael

Attachments

• Time Switch Advice IMG_0297.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_0297.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Time Switch Advice IMG_0292.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_0292.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Time Switch Advice IMG_0293.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_0293.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Time Switch Advice IMG_0303.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_0303.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 4
  • Time Switch Advice IMG_0299.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_0299.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 5
I've found Scottish Power to be brilliant with advice and even got a Christmas card from them after speaking with the director Lol.

Shoot them an Email, they sent a whole team out over something very similar and I was extremely impressed with them! Never charged a bean either...

Reply to Time Switch Advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock