Discuss Time to do something in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lister1987

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi all, finally got the activation email, Gmail wasn't recieving the email so switch to Yahoo and voilà.

I'm the wrong side of 25 and realised I need to actually find something I enjoy doing and having a trade appeals to me.

Currently planning what route to take, can't see apprenticeship being viable so looking at doing L2 & L3 C&G 2365 and from there (if I'm looking right) Part P, 18th Edition (don't think it's part of the C&G but could be wrong), PAT and then CSCS and hopefully that'll give me a good grounding (excuse the pun).

So yea, Hi, looking forward to being here

Welcome to the forum, try to get as much practical experience to go with the academic learning from others posted on here the older you are the harder it is as you have more responsibilities in life. Are you looking more to do "domestic" electrical work as a priority?

Just as something to do with life, previously did FLT/Warehousing, along with IT Helldesking and really enjoy taking things apart and tinkering.

I figure trades are always in demand somewhere, not in it for money (although it would be nice), just want a job I can get my teeth into and enjoy

Thats a good route to go down but experience is key.
Do you want to do the full range of work or just domestic stuff?
Eitherway 2365 is the basis. The partp course is barely worth a mention but the 18th, and 2391 will be worth the effort.
With this you could then look at doing the nvq if and when time/work allows.

Hi Lister. I am 28 with 3 kids and have spent my working life in warehousing and driving a FLT. I had the same mindset as you and have spent the last year earning my level 1. Just a few days ago after months of phone calls and letters I have finally secured an apprenticeship. I don't post much on here but have been a long time lurker (trainee pages and posts in general are full of information). As has been mentioned it is more difficult at this stage in life, but if your driven it is possible. Best of luck to you.

Hi Lister. I am 28 with 3 kids and have spent my working life in warehousing and driving a FLT. I had the same mindset as you and have spent the last year earning my level 1. Just a few days ago after months of phone calls and letters I have finally secured an apprenticeship. I don't post much on here but have been a long time lurker (trainee pages and posts in general are full of information). As has been mentioned it is more difficult at this stage in life, but if your driven it is possible. Best of luck to you.

28 with 3? 32 with 3 myself, god they're hard work! 20mo and 2 6mo twin boys.

I'm toying with apprenticeships but think I'd be better to get a qual of some sort before looking at apprenticeships. Spent my youth doing a national diploma so don't think I'm open to any funding as most is for level 3 and under, but if you already have a level 3 qualification they generally won't fund it, hence the exploring around first.

Re training / re skilling is never easy especially when you have other responsibilities e.g rent to pay and kids to feed etc.
It can be done , but it’s more difficult than when you first leave school at 16 free as a bird of all responsibilities.

The one main advantage a 30 year old has is your life experience.

Good luck and welcome

Welcome Lister,

It is harder as a mature person to get an apprenticeship but it is possible with determination. As others know from my previous posts I'm a single parent & an apprentice at the age of 44.

Personally I would always recommend an apprenticeship because from my own experience, getting experience is key. You learn so much more & quicker on the job combining that with the theory that your learning. It can be hard juggling work life & college work sometimes.

Not sure but you could try & see if you could get a grant to help financially?

Electrical Industries Charity - Employee and Family Support Programme - https://www.electricalcharity.org/index.php/what-we-do/our-programmes/employee-and-family-support-programme

Good luck & all the best

Michael

Something that just occurred to me, this place (unless I'm missing it, could do with a FAAQ thread and sticked - FAAQ being "Frequently Asked About Qualifications.

Could be tackled from a few angles;

- College route and a good flow of which courses to do in which order

- "Short Course", those that cram years of work into a few weeks; the good, the bad and the damn right fugly.

- Apprenticeships; aside from the Apprenticeships website, other avenues of getting one.

Seems to be a recurring question from us newbies so it just makes sense to make the info consolidated.

Something that just occurred to me, this place (unless I'm missing it, could do with a FAAQ thread and sticked - FAAQ being "Frequently Asked About Qualifications.

Could be tackled from a few angles;

- College route and a good flow of which courses to do in which order

- "Short Course", those that cram years of work into a few weeks; the good, the bad and the damn right fugly.

- Apprenticeships; aside from the Apprenticeships website, other avenues of getting one.

Seems to be a recurring question from us newbies so it just makes sense to make the info consolidated.

FAQ sections work fine but only for questions that have an answer that stands the test of time, the problem with the suggested topics you raised is they very often change over the yrs and the advice thus given would vary according to the timeline they were asked.
In general having a FAQ is a good idea for sites that typically have one narrative, here we cover so many areas of the industry and general non electrical banter that it would make any such thread so large members simply wouldn't read through it.
It is simpler and easier to sub-categorise the forum and provide a search tool too for members to look up any related thread or post for which the forum provides.

Reply to Time to do something in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock