Discuss Timer push button in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello guys, i 'm looking for a solution for a noisy heat pump in my garden.

I would like to have a push button on my neighbours side that he and I can both push. That button push stops the electric current to the heat pump for a certain time. For instance 2 hours.

So we can relax outside without forgetting to switch it back on when we are leaving or go inside again.

Is something like that possible please?

Hello guys, i 'm looking for a solution for a noisy heat pump in my garden.

I would like to have a push button on my neighbours side that he and I can both push. That button push stops the electric current to the heat pump for a certain time. For instance 2 hours.

So we can relax outside without forgetting to switch it back on when we are leaving or go inside again.

Is something like that possible please?

Welcome to the forum mate.
You should be able to but a 240V timer relay with a change over contact (or normally closed), to do what you want. Add a spring return pushbutton to it.
When you push the button the relay engages and the contact opens the circuit to the pump.

What you need to find out is the power rating of the pump and choose a relay that is suitable.

I'm presuming the pump is single phase?

Last edited:
Depending on the design of the heat pump it might cause damage to just cut the power frequently via a timer/relay. Some refrigeration systems are designed to 'pump down' after their temperature set-point is achieved and before they power down. Just cutting the power could have a negative effect of the compressor starting torque. It could also be bad for the oil return; oil constantly travels around the refrigeration pipework and back to the compressor, if the unit is frequently shut down by power failure instead of pumping down the oil may not have sufficient refrigerant velocities to cause it to travel and return effectively.

The heatpump might be manufactured with a remote stop/start input, rather use that if possible. If not then look at controlling it via it's temperature sense circuit, ie, use a 2 hour delay timer relay contact in series with the thermostat contact to simulate it having reached it's set temperature.

Reply to Timer push button in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net